Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The whir of blades

Six months of boys pounding on the ceiling, stumbling in at three in the morning, partying to five.

Six months of tittering girls walking into walls and boys forgetting to use their "indoor voice."

Four months of construction below my floor. Incessant hammering, drilling, unintelligible voices blurred by paint fumes and cigarette smoke.

Four months of boards and nails and wood-saws from dawn until near midnight.

And now, a lovey couple beneath my floor talking and laughing and ahem, well you know, far too loudly for my delicate ears.

They were up all night. And I mean alllllllll night. They were still at it when I swore loudly and gave up any attempt to sleep through two pillows and a comforter around seven thirty this morning.

So rather than carry out my dark plan of revenge upon these neighbors I have bought a desk fan.

Living in New York City, I found that the best way to block out a city that never sleeps is by adding a little white noise to the mix.

Tonight there will be no boys missing doorways, no giggly college girls, no far-too-into-each-other couples.

There will only be the soft whir of blades.

9 Comments:

Blogger katy said...

here's to you having a hopefully good nights sleep then!

3:25 PM  
Blogger d34FpUpPy said...

hope u sleep but buy tap shoes just in case!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

What a good idea. Much cheaper than a pair of noise cancelling headphones.

8:13 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

katy - Oh I slept like a dream, didn't wake up once! Well, till the morning of course.

pup - I'm afraid tap shoes won't work since I have carpeted floors...heavy boots maybe!

tod - Yes, and more comfortable than headphones! I've tried listening to music b/f with headphones but they always get pushed off by the pillow as I fall asleep.

9:54 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

on the other hand get a fella and stay up all night ;-)

12:14 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Oh go on, go for a little bit of revenge. Play something nice and loud and dance with your Doc Martins on when they start getting too loud.

That or call the police. It is Scotland, they don't like disturbances up there.

9:26 AM  
Blogger katy said...

just want to let you know that I am taking a break for a while, hope to be back, till then byeeeeeeeeeeee x

3:12 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

good idea. I was going to suggest one of those environment players that sounds like waves or rain or something.

hope you are sleeping

6:34 PM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

All night? WOW. Yeah, I'm torn between congratulating them and killing them slowly. Still, hope your white noise works!

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home