Sunday, March 30, 2008

A mildly broken promise

Although I promised a hilarious account of Mexican cuisine in Scotland, I feel that that post shall have to wait a bit.

A guy I graduated high school with back, way back in the day when I was young, died. He was hit by an RV, for the non Americans that's an absurdly large vehicle termed "Recreational Vehicle."

Not to go too far into my belief that licenses should be more strictly distributed, as in, if you are to drive a vehicle as large as a commercial bus, then you should have to pass the same tests as they to qualify for that license. So, yeah not to get into that...

I'm 29 now, and there are too many that have died from my class.

The first was 18, only a few months after we graduated, in a car wreck. We shared a locker in the sixth grade.

Then, the next, a 19 year old from an explosion. It's not clear what happened, he was in the air force, serving in Texas, I believe. I remember flicking his large ears in social studies because, well he had large ears and he was friends with a guy I thought was cute. And well, we were only 12.

Then at 25 my first boyfriend, the guy I mentioned earlier, (we dated for uhhh three days??? seeing as we were 12 at the time,) died in a car crash on the way back home from Great Falls.

Oh and there's the two who died from cancer before either of them turned 25.

I went to a talk the other day. After learning of the most recent loss. And it was weird because, well this part wasn't weird, I got to the talk late. I'm a scientist, we are always late.

But I made my way to a seat and I was in the back, and there were six empty seats.

I looked at them and couldn't help but think of those kids, those people that I had known, however briefly, and think, that I should pay more attention to the talk. I need to live more, at least six times as much.

5 Comments:

Blogger katy said...

so so sorry for the loss of such a young person, thoughts going out to his family and friends x

2:38 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

I can't even tell you the number of people that Hubby and I know that have died young..It is so sad.
I lost a friend when he was 16. He hung himself in his parents basement after he got into some trouble with the law...He was a great guy, he just made some bad choices...The girl that I used to teach Sunday School with died at 19, in a car accident.Too many to recount, really.
Many times I have thought about things the way that you do..Live my life more, better...Remember that I AM still here.
Hugs to you, Ladybug xx

3:48 PM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

You know, for some reason, I've been experiencing a lot of death too. It's like, every other month, I'm either at a funeral or I hear the tragic news of a friend or acquaintence. And everytime, I always make the promise that I will cherish life and make the most of it. And you know what? So far, I think I've upheld that promise. I mean, sure, I have my days where I just lay around, maxin, relaxin all cool and shoot B-Ball outside the school, but for the most part, I find myself doing things I wouldnt normally do and having a blast. Just make sure you remember to live six times as much...

2:13 AM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

It is so sad when life is cut short like that.

1:57 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

If I counted it'd be way over twenty. Drugs, suicide, AIDS, bad luck, army mates blown to crap.

They should have stayed with me where it was safe.... ;-)

Live and enjoy babe. Maybe see you in Barnsley in a couple of months or so? Cappy n Katy are up for it. Caz is keen to come along too.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home