Thursday, April 03, 2008

A long way from Mexico

I did not move to Scotland for the food.

Delectable cuisine is not what one expects from this country. No one goes to Scotland for the food. They go for the kilts and the bagpipes. They go for the countryside, the large sloping mountains, the shiny rivers, the quaint accent.

So, when we ventured out to a Mexican restaurant last week, I did not have high hopes. I expected a decent margarita, some mild salsa, interesting haggis tacos....none of which appeared.

It turns out that this Mexican restaurant had run out of tequila. On a Friday night. By 8pm.

The menu sported "chips," burgers, a couple curry dishes, sweet chili prawns, spring rolls and a few main Chinese dishes. These were happily displayed right along side the more familiar Mexican dishes such as tacos, enchiladas, burritos, and fajitas.

There was no salsa.

The guacamole was suspicious to say the least, and the sour cream was neither sour, nor much of a cream, mostly it was a hard, white ball that rolled off the plate onto the floor.

On the bright side my chicken enchilada was nice. The chicken wasn't dry and the sauce tasted pretty good. I would never go so far as to qualify it as a Mexican dish, but at least it was tasty alongside my vodka cocktail.

8 Comments:

Blogger Michael Colvin said...

Lol! I hope you retrieved your guacamole to use as a paperweight.

Come and visit us in England for a weekend, we will feed you up right proper. No chips I promise.

11:13 AM  
Blogger katy said...

bet you are missing some good old proper American food cause you are so right about the food in Scotland!
on your way down to Tod's call at mine first OK

4:00 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

i make a mean chicken and black bean enchilada...with two kinds of salsa and some pico de gallo....
you know, if you find yourself in my neighbourhood.
also...we rarely run out of tequila...and never on a Friday night.

4:48 PM  
Blogger d34FpUpPy said...

my dad makes the best mexican food really really good for an italian

1:29 AM  
Blogger DILLIGAF said...

A Mexican restaurant in Scotland. Yeah right.

That's like MacDonalds in the centre of Bagdhad.

No I haven't a clue what the fuck I;m on about either....

5:48 PM  
Blogger Pink said...

Lol...London can't do mexican either...I had an enchilada that came without sauce.

err...burrito?...no...no salsa...no sour cream either

I did get some squished green goo...which I assume was guacamole though it could easily have been mushy peas.

LOL.

Try the haggis instead (on second thought, don't!)
xx
pinks

5:41 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

No salsa?
Scandalous!

8:04 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Its odd, over on this fair green isle you can get decent cuisine from a host of nations. For reasons I have not yet determined Mexican is just abysmal (bar a new place in Covent Garden thats fab, and a tex mex near Trafalgar Swquare), and even Chinese, which is everywhere, isn't very good.

Anything else, I can point you in a thousand directions, those two, you're out of luck.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home