Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Stinky

Yes, yes I know, it's February and I'm doing my first post of the year...

You see, I'm not in a particularly joyful mood today. There are times, in science, when you are confronted with aspects of the bench life that do not always smell pleasant. There are times when a particular noxious smelling chemical is used, or a cell expression line that is, well very stinky. And there are times when you use agents that can be harmful if swallowed or bathed in.

Fortunately, I do not wash my hair with noxious smelling chemicals or dab the scent of cellular waste behind my ears or bathe in possibly carcinogenic agents.

However, in a lab I do work with all of the above.

And so it is that I deal with people who apparently entered this field without taking into account the smell of an expression cell line or chemical. They complain regardless of my efforts to cover all offending stinky liquids with lids, foil, and make use of the ventilated hoods.

I hate to say this, people, but there are some aspects of science that just can't be altered. 1) it's expensive 2) it stinks 3) it exposes you to potentially dangerous chemicals

In my particular field, number 3) usually means, "don't lick any surfaces in a lab as this could be a bad idea." Yes we work with acids, don't drink them and wear gloves. If you do spill, rinse with water, this has happened to me with a much stronger acid than any in this lab and I still have all my fingers.

Finally, if cells stink, suck it up. They are not dangerous in any way shape or form. Not that I'd recommend making a cocktail of the stuff, but they will not hurt you other than make you wrinkle your nose for the five minutes the cart takes to pass your lab bench.

And if you can't deal, then perhaps you should seriously look into another career, possibly one dealing with rose petals.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

good to see you! he. rose petals.

nice return post.

6:17 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Welcome back, even if just for a moan!

You've got me confused though. Last post you talked about being at a particle accelerator, now a chemists or bio lab. Exactly what branch of science are you in?

12:01 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

hello! Well, I'm a structural biologist so I do all sorts of science. I clone DNA constructs that encode for my protein of interest, I express and purify protein, I do biochemical assays on my protein, and I crystallize that protein. The protein crystals are then taken to the synchrotron so we can collect data and build a model of the protein.

It's pretty cool work!

7:23 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Caz's lab stinks as well. Big time. One lab technician went home with a migraine complaining about perfume and after shave. She must have a weird nose.

Caz does that stuff I think. I dunno. It's all a bit technical for me.

7:34 AM  
Blogger d34FpUpPy said...

hayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home