Monday, February 25, 2008

Ceilidh

It took a good ten minutes to write that title checking the spelling again and again..

So for those who don't know, a ceilidh is a Scottish dance. The word, as close as I can tell is pronounced "Kadie" and the dance itself is a frantic step around a room where all the men compete with one another as to how quickly they can spin their slightly inebriated female partners.

Honestly, that's not fair. They don't have to spin at all!

Anyway, here at the University the organizers of functions from scientific meetings to student get-togethers insist on adding a Ceilidh (ha! I've now written that word three times). The first one I attended was after a long day of departmental talks. The food they served was pretty bad, but the beer made up for the lack of palatable calories. Afterwards, they began the dance. Not having a clue, and not really up for spinning on my wobbly feet, my boss dragged me out onto the floor. 20 minutes later I made a pact that I would never again attend such an event with the fear of public vomiting a very real possibility.

Now, another meeting is scheduled, this one further north. I'm bringing Dramamine*.....



*common drug for motion sickness in the U.S.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael Colvin said...

I can understand the students being okay with the bad food but doing weird folksy dances? Blimey.

The next time you have to do the spinning make sure you do vomit on someone, it'll serve em right.

12:40 PM  
Blogger d34FpUpPy said...

dont drink 1st?

12:20 AM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Now, as a girl from out West don't tell me you've never done barn dancing! Its not all that different, and there should have been a caller that even slightly inebriated girls can follow.

I love country dancing, we had a Ceilidh band for our wedding and danced until the wee small hours. Its great fun!

10:56 AM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

According to my dictionary, it's pronounced "caley" (kinda like the Marillion song "Kayleigh"), but I'm a Sassenach, so what do I know?

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home