Friday, February 15, 2008

crackers

I have to admit there are a few things that I miss from the U.S. Now, don't get me wrong, Scotland is cool, there are lots of new and interesting things that I've been exposed to including haggis, neeps and tatties.

However I do miss a few things about the food from back home.

For one, the crackers. I miss wheat-thins, and nips and saltines and all the variations. Mostly wheat-thins, though. The crackers here tend to be very large, very dry and very bland.

I used to have dinners from time to time with a selection of cheeses, a couple bunches of grapes, and some crispy crackers. Not that I can't live without, but the craving is starting to kick in.

And what is a bowl of soup without a few saltines?

Even worse, is the craving for a good Ranch dressing. There isn't Ranch here, none. Ordering a salad here means ordering dry leaves of lettuce. Of course they do have Ceaser, but again, not the same.

Well, I suppose there's always the haggis...

6 Comments:

Blogger The Boy said...

Oh yes, the cravings for things from home. I've been here 14 years and I still get hit with the need for a taste from home.

Crackers can be dealt with, even Ranch dressing, check out this website www.americansweets.co.uk for real desperation items!

10:51 AM  
Blogger katy said...

LOL you must be crackers if you eat the Haggis!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

You can get a decent selection of crackers from Waitrose, not too sure if they have them in Scotland though. Also Marks & Spencer's food section is pretty good.

You are probably on your own with the Ranch dressing...YUK! You are in Europe now, what's wrong with vinaigrette? Lol!

2:08 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Meat pie, mushy peas and chips in gravy. Can't get that around here. My sympathies.

Off to Barnsley in the summer to see Cappy n hopefully Her Indoors. You up for a drunken bloggers trip to Barnsley then? Not as far to travel places in the UK.

Oh n welcome back by the way. Thought you'd been eaten by a haggis ;-)

7:36 AM  
Blogger dilling said...

I'll send you some Ranch dressing...I couldn't live without it and I don't expect anyone else to.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

crackers are EASY to make. and so is ranch dressing. ;-)

you could start an epidemic, or a new wave of ranch dressing eaters.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home