Monday, March 17, 2008

Hiding the 'very important' pain

I spent the weekend as a 'very important scientist' attending 'very important talks' and joining in on the 'very important scientist dinner & Ceilidh.'

As these were 'very important' events I, of course, threw myself fully into the game.

The first day was the longest by far. I had to come into lab at 5am on Friday to take care of my 'important' cells before leaving for the conference. Talks ensued all day, which were very interesting made even more so by the promise of free booze to any student with the courage to ask questions and sit in the front.

Naturally I placed myself in the front row and asked a question.

Yes, just one, I had a couple other good ones, but then it would just seem I was asking for the free booze, which I would never do, no, never.

I was late to the dinner that night seeing as I was itching for a run. So I headed out past the golf course and towards the hills only to turn back a mere two miles in, as it got dark and I was afraid of the wild haggis.

Since I was late to the formal dinner I ended up at a table sitting with people I'd never met. This turned out to be the best of choices. The conversation was interesting and the people were very nice. We even managed some 'very important' science talk somewhere between the three bottles of wine.

Then it was off to the Ceilidh. A friend of mine and I joined partners with two of the men I'd sat with and had a blast dancing. We were both laughing so hard our jaws hurt. Some more wine later; we danced the one called "Strip the willow" where you end up dancing all down the line with everyone.

It was a grand 'important' evening. The next day, I had bruises on my arms from being flung around the room and a splitting headache from the 'very important science (wine) talk.'

But I worked through the pain to attend a poster session and some more 'very important' talks as well as a disco. I expected bell-bottoms and giant gold medallions. Alas here in the UK, they call any dance a disco, aside from the bruising Ceilidh of course.

So it is that I'm here in lab later than I’d like to be here at night after three days of talks, lab, dancing and disco, but it will be well worth the pain if this experiment works out.

As to large social events with many important scientists, I think I've got a good six months to save up my energy for all the 'very important things scientists do when released from the lab.'

4 Comments:

Blogger katy said...

think i would so love to attend a Ceilidh sounds like you had a great time!

5:32 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

The very important things scientists do when released from the lab include getting inordinately pissed with me and Cappy in Barnsley.

I know this is true 'cause Caz (who is also a scientist) told me to tell you.

The Barnsley dates will be forthcoming soon - Caz may well join us so you will have someone with a brain to communicate with as well ;-)

Cappy and I will happily leave you both to talk intelligently whilst we set the world to rights....

7:30 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Ohh, a good strip the willow, great fun! At least it was a headache earned from very important things

10:56 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

katy - i didn't like the last one as much, this one was a blast though! I think it depends on the caller...

4D - now where is this place where drinking and science will be?

the boy - actually, i'm proud of the ceilidh bruises, proves i was out there!!

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home