Friday, November 09, 2007

France

We went to France last weekend to go to the synchrotron in Grenoble. It really was an adventure including lost baggage, tiny planes, illness, illegal immigration...and so on.

Leaving from Dundee, which is a pretty small city, entails piling into a tiny propeller plane and sitting in the correct seat so as to keep the plane balanced. The runway was so small that the pilot had to reve the engine up to full speed then release the breaks to shoot us straight into the sky.

We landed in London city with barely 20min to spare between flights, but the men in our group decided that was plenty of time to sit down at a restaurant and enjoy a steak sandwich. We ended up running for our connection to Geneva, a run that resulted in our luggage being offloaded and my stomach deciding to rebel against the steak sandwich.

Once in Geneva I found a bathroom floor to settle on while the others tried to rent a car and figure out how to get our labmate who only had a visa for France, over to Grenoble. We had to leave on the French side of the aiport and drive an extra hour through the mountains to avoid Switzerland. I didn't care since I spent the ride curled up in a ball on the back seat.

Two of our group stayed in Geneva to hang out and wait for the luggage while the other three of us made it to Grenoble finally, tired and not a little stressed.

On the bright side, our experiments went really well. We had a full 48 hours on the beamline but only used 42 since we were able to collect duplicates and even triplicates of good data. So, after a brief rest, we found ourselves packed into a small European car, luggage, dewer, and five people. I, being the shortest was lucky enough to have the front seat where we'd also crammed in the dewer leaving me enough room for about half a leg.

The drive was beautiful, though and we headed up into the alps to hike for an afternoon before our flight. It doesn't get much better than sitting on the top of a mountain overlooking the alps with a packed lunch of French cheese and bread.

On our way back we were treated to a sky high view of London all lit up for the holiday they have here celebrating a guy who tried to blow up Parliament. Seems an odd holiday to me, but the fireworks were wonderful.

Finally arriving back in the lab, we were informed that all our data had to be processed that night. Luckily, I learned a lot on the trip and was able to get all three of my sets done in about an hour. Still, I didn't get home till around 1:30am and we were requested to be back in lab by 8:30am that morning. Needless to say, it's been a long week for me and I'm looking forward to having a weekend semi-off. I still have experiments to run, but only about an afternoon's worth.

Again, sorry I'm not here much, but I just don't have a lot of time. I'm thinking if I can keep up a strong pace for the next few months I'll be able to really get all my projects up and going and making progress.

Our boss is out of town for most of Dec and I'm not going home for Christmas so I'm hoping that extra time will let me get a little ahead!

Anyway, it's interesting here, I've got a few stories, and a lot of questions. I'll have to stop by here now and then with a few anecdotes!

Hugs to all,

Ldbug

16 Comments:

Blogger dilling said...

Wow....like a superscience spy life or something!!!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Pink said...

You're a mad scientist?

cool!
xx
pinks

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ladyb ltns did u see tha giant ferris in london?

7:38 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

dilling - super secret scientist;-)

pink - and fairly mad too:-P

pup - yeah, we could see it from the plane, all lit up along with the fireworks. I can honestly say it was my favorite plane ride, I was hardly scared at all!

6:58 AM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

I dont know why, but the moment I clicked on your link, an old Spice Girls song started playing on the radio.

Goodbye, my friend
I know you're gone, you said you're gone but I can still feel you here
It's not the end,
You gotta keep it strong before the pain turns into fear...


I'm so excited for you, living like a well-traveled superstar! Private planes, French picnics, and even smuggling in people across the border, like the Von Trapp family! So cool! And if you're still in Europe until March, we should TOTALLY get together, since I myself will be heading out in that direction! Let me know...

6:29 PM  
Blogger CindyDianne said...

Sounds like quite the adventure you are on there! Congrats and take care!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

The steak-run made me feel a little queasy.

1:53 AM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Welcome Back!

That isn't Cern is it? I didn't know there was a seperate facility at Grenoble. I've got a BIL who did a year at Cern, was one of the chief engineers on the Supercolider before it got canned and now is a biggy wiggy at LIGO.

What exactly are you studying?

7:52 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

France is beautiful. Well. Full of French but if you ignore them it's beautiful....

4:07 PM  
Blogger katy said...

hi stranger nice to hear from you girl x

9:09 AM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Sounds really interesting. Oh for wonderful adventures -except for the food poisoning - which would be my worst nightmare when it comes to traveling! The French Cheese and Bread while sitting on top of the Alps - well, how much better could it get?

All that emotional torture in school is paying off!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did thay "scotch" ape u so u can blog?

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ladeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bugggggggggggg were r u?????????????

4:46 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

I'd better say Happy Christmas now as I don't think you're going to reappear before the New Year.

Have a great one babe x

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy christmas ladybug

10:56 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

happy chrimbo babe x

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home