Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Didn't need it anyway

This morning, the RM and I left for work at the same time -- a rarity in a house of two girls, one bathroom and two lovely snooze buttons. We both wait until the last minute to get up, then it's a gamble as to who will get into the bathroom first.

In any case, we left together this morning chugging up the street through the cold, me without my lunch, RM without her date-book, neither of us willing to go back for these forgotten items. As we arrived at the train I could hear it pulling up. Now, sometimes it's really the train on the other side of the platform, so you end up running, get through the gate and down the stairs before realizing you were running for the wrong train. This morning, though, we ran for a reason.

I got through first as RM frantically searched for her Metro card. I ran down thinking I could hold the door, but alas, as RM ran down the stairs the doors closed on my arm. Damn train. There are some trains with sensors in the doors to prevent any loss of limb but not this one, oh no. This train decided it would be more fun to try and remove my arm, the hand of the man next to me, and leave us dismembered while RM looked on in silent disappointment.

Ok, so I didn't really lose my arm, but it was close.

A train pulled up right after the evil one, though, so RM was able to catch the same transfer as I and we arrived to work at the same time.

On another note, our toilet is broken. It's loads of fun. We get to fill the tank manually with a bucket after each flush.

This is what living is, I tell you. Exhausted bank accounts, man-eating trains, and stubborn porcelain gods.

12 Comments:

Blogger Ally said...

At least you're not having to manually flush by pouring the bucket down the pan :).

12:55 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

ally - yes, that's true!

1:00 PM  
Blogger katy said...

oh my you do lead such an action packed life LOL

2:24 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

indoors - yes, it takes a lot to fend off the evil trains and keep up the worship on the phrcelain gods;-)

3:12 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

The last time I was on the NYC metro our ticket wouldn't let us through. Apparently they time out for fifteen minutes is there is a problem. We asked the lady at the desk and she just kept screaming, "Fifteen!" at us. How the hell were two dorks from England supposed to interpret that? Ah...happy holiday memories!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

Oh man, that sucks! Has the landlord been told of the toilet situation? Here, if something like that is broken, the landlord has to fix it immeadiatly, or you will get money back on rent and/or he would have to put you up elsewhere. That being said, my Nanie had to do that with her toilet for over a year.
Are the radiators still keeping you up? All of this and man eating trains, too? I think that you need a bunny. Yup, that's what you need. And I just happen to know where you can get one........

3:24 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

tod - Oh, I feel that one. Once I swiped my ticket and then a guy pushed through the gate (I hate jerks that use the entrance as an exit) and it negated my swipe! I was pissed! I didn't know I had to wait 15 either, I'm from Montana!

life - yeah, the RM called the landlady yesterday, but it could be a week or two till the plumber gets out there, so until then it's buckets for us! Hmmm, a bunny you say? I think it might frighten my cat;-)

3:33 PM  
Blogger rauf said...

this is high tech ldbug,
i tell you low tech.

Platform number four Chennai central. 10.10 PM, Train to Bangalore always.
Yes the train was waiting. Proud owner of a newly introduced walkman. I am high, Fought my way into an over crowded coach, no seats, climbed up the baggage loft. made myself comfortable.
Music time, took my walkman out. Gordon Lightfoot. I am in the clouds, watching people below.
different looking faces, its ok India is a big country. More different looking faces, through the head phone I could hear them talk, We Indians do not know how to whisper. We ARE loud. I could hear Bengali. Its ok, india is a big country, language food culture changes every 100 miles. Now more Bengali coming from other side. they are all speaking in Bengali.
what ?? they are carrying heavy baggage, long distance journey, mine is a short 300 KMs journey people travel light. Whats going on ?
I removed my hedphones.
I asked the guy sitting right below me. Where is this train going ?
we never learnt to answer straight
The guy answered in a question
Where do you want to go ?
i said Bangalore
He doesn't say anything to me but tells his friend, 'this idiot wants to go to Bangalore'
That was enough.
The train started moving
i jumped down, hurting some poor souls in the ribs with my elbow and jumped out of the moving train.
Stupid thing was going to calcutta
i saw the board on the moving coach just now.
but what was it doing on platform 4
where Bangalore train was supposed to start ?
No point asking questions, everybody in a hurry to go somewhere
i heard the announcement that the Bangalore traain is about to leave from platform 1.
in india we can't walk without knocking some one down.
i pushed a couple of people and ran towards platform 1.
got the train.
this was not the first time that I goofed. and was not the last.
Thanks ldbug!

12:21 AM  
Blogger Pallav said...

man eating trains are cool.....just imagine people go into them themselves.....the trains would get pretty fat....never mind...I'm a bit off track:P.....have seen worse toilets than having to pour water down them. don't ask me to explain:P
N

2:13 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

You know, you could use the bathroom at the same time, videotape it all -- you two showering together, et al -- and then sell the tape for lots of money. You'd probably get a lot more money if you played with each other in the shower, but you'd be able to fix your toilet, and maybe even move into a place with two bathrooms!

8:56 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

rauf - sounds like catching the right train is much more difficult in India than in NY!!

nothingman - that is a weird thought, trains gorging on people at rush hour;-)

malnatured - hmmmmmmm, think I'll stick to the original plan of having the landlady call the plumber....

10:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you servived the train without becoming an amputee :-) Manually fillling the toilet is no fun, but at least it is still indoor plumbing!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home