Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Razored Grants

I loped a finger-nail off this morning while shaving my legs. I'm not entirely sure how I managed to do that, and not end up bleeding. For educational purposes, I tried to re-enact the incident but only succeeded in a lost gel-shaving cap and a minor injury.

In other news, I'm applying for grants. It's absolutely incredible how much money is out there, just waiting for someone to apply for it. NSF, NIH, HHMI, and all the societies have funding for at least two years for studies and research.

Unfortunately, a lot of the grants go for studies relating to the environment and drug abuse. Not that I'm disregarding one or condoning the other, but exactly how many studies need to be done on the effects of global warming on the sub-species of fern-related spore-producing-and-activated plants in Africa?

It won't change global warming, it won't help feed anyone. Unless fern-related spore-producing-and-activated plants in Africa are really magic arctic-inducing hunger-avoidance cancer-curing super-ferns that no-one's bothered to utilize before.

And drug abuse is horrible, but shouldn't the money be focused more on neurology to understand addiction and drug-discovery to reduce addictive side-effects in medicines? I mean, yes education is important and so is treatment, but exactly how much money is required to gather statistics on drug abuse in rural Arkansas? It seems a lot of grants are tailored to an extreme.

Another problem I seem to have encountered, is that I'm not minority-affiliated or disabled enough. But really, I'm a woman, so that reduces me to roughly 50% of the world's population (6,525,170,264 - July'06) I'm from Montana which reduces me to roughly 50% of 902,195 people and Montana represents 0.014% of the population on the planet witch comfortably puts me in a group representing roughly 0.007% of the world's population. I'm rare!

Ah well, I'll apply for what I can, and hopefully get lucky since it's a lot easier to have your own money in research. At the least, it's a learning experience to try...(still a little grumbling going on).

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes it is a wonder that someone thought to put the time and effort in to coming up with such stringent parameters for grant money. Good luck in getting one! (I think plants in Africa sounds a bit more appealing than drug abuse in rural Arkansas myself)

4:18 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

You could always convert to Islam and start wearing a burka, that would be a sure fire bet to getting a grant I'd think.

I'm not sure Montanian's count as a disadvantaged minority, though it might be worth a try!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Maybe go black face? ;)

Steve~

12:39 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

A Montana Minority eh? I want to be a minority. Feelin' left out.

fern-related spore-producing-and-activated plants in Africa are very nice curried I'm told....

2:11 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Molly - Yes, those African plants...Thanks!

boy - Wouldn't be able to do proper research in a burka!

steve - thick makeup just isn't good for the skin.

4D - you are a minority of one, there's only one fourdinners out there!! :-)

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home