Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Bloody Marys at Midnight

On Saturday night a girl at the office held a small party at her place in upper Manhattan. After a very long couple train rides, then a half-mile brisk stroll through the very cold night, the roommate and I arrived, only an hour late. We felt bad for getting there so late, but in all honesty we had left our place at 7:30pm, it just took until 9:00pm to get all the way up there!

It was an interesting party. A small mix of people from literally all over the world. India, Russia, and THE SOUTH were represented. Of course the mid-west (roommate) and west (me) were also there in force.

Right away we began mixing bloody Marys for the crowd. Don't ask me why, it was a strange craving for a Saturday night. Pizza arrived, very good pizza arrived and the party hid full stride with THE SOUTH stumbling over Jack Daniels and a couple of forties.

Music was played, pizza was eaten, half of a couple began doing shots of vodka and whiskey. Then, a brilliant plan: playing poker.

It's been awhile since I've been able to play a game, and the Russian guy and a girl from work also backed the idea. Since the couple had to leave, that put the poker players in the majority -- well, actually half and half, but THE SOUTH didn't really have an opinion one way or the other.

So we set up the table and confronted the next two problems, where to find cards, and what to gamble with. Well, no one was up for gambling money, since none of us have any money, so it was decided to use the little caramel candies (called Nips) that had been set out as desert.

There weren't quite enough of those, so we dove into the walnuts and put together a scheme: half a nut = 25, full nut = 50, a Nip = 100 and in reserve, everyone got one chocolate = 500.

So, to the cards, it was suggested..what, I certainally didn't suggest, really that THE SOUTH knock on the neighbors' (note the plural possessive) door for cards, which THE SOUTH staggeringly did. We had cards.

Yes, we played until almost 4am for Nips and nuts. All the while sipping on bloody Marys.

At 5am after a long, rocky ride home, the roommate and I crashed.

Although I left the party with the most Nips and nuts, I also left with the strong desire to never drink bloody Marys at midnight again.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jingo said...

Poker's only fun with a little risk. I doubt losing would have had you counting your Nips ;)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

...but, did you win?

I've never been a fan of the Bloody Mary (probably due to my strong dislike of anything tomato and also celery)

11:51 AM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Now the question is, did anyone eat their winnings during play?

2:51 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

jingostic - well of course there's risk! It's about losing pride;-)

molly - I'm not really sure, we quit the game when it got really really late, but although I put almost everyone out, I think a couple were still hording some Nips. I was Nip and nut leader for sure though!

boy - I actually think THE SOUTH put himself out that way...

3:40 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

Sounds like a good evening. Tho I would pass on the Bloody Mary's. Uncooked tomato is an abomination and must be feared...

5:13 AM  
Blogger .:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Sounds like you had fun.
I've only played poker once and I won all my toiletries back.

8:07 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

playing with nips and nuts. have you any idea what that suggests over here in England? My kind of party!

8:15 AM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

Nips, nuts, poker, drinking...there's a great joke in there some where! Sounds like a grat time!

9:40 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

tod - Yes, I will pass next time!

adult - back? Did you lose them in the same game, then win back?

4D - Yup I'm well aware;-)

rock - Oh there is!

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home