Friday, January 26, 2007

With a Clang

The temperature in New York has plummeted, finally. I've been waiting for a nice cold snap. I'm used to them from back home, and I love the feeling of bundling up to face the icy wind outside. I love cuddling on the sofa indoors wrapped in sweaters, blankets and a furry cat.

I'm not too keen on running in it, though. I've finally joined that runners group in Brooklyn. True to form, I manage to do it on one of the most uncomfortable weeks of the year (weather-wise). Still, I'd rather freeze than overheat any day.

The group meets in the evening after work and last night I could literally feel the temperature dropping with every passing minute as I waited for people to show up.

Only two did.

I guess only the hearty or fool-hearty would venture out when the mercury drops into single digits. The run, although tiring was a blast. Runners love to talk, to gossip, and to tell stories. That's one of the reasons I love being a part of a group, it allows me to run without really thinking I'm actually in pain up that mile long hill on the back stretch with the freezing wind pelting my face.

OK, maybe I did feel a bit of that, but at least I was entertained all the while.

Turns out I was running with two former pro-athletes. One, a pro-soccer player from Mexico who retired and began running marathons at 38, (he's now on his 10th), and the other a retired pro-tennis player who began running at 34 and is now somewhere in his 50's.

Yeah, you laugh, you think, ha! Ldbug can only run with old men, she's so out of shape. Trust me, you'd weep to try and keep up with these guys. They're fit, fast and both look at least 10-20 years younger than they are. I idolize people like that!

Anyway, I managed to keep up for 4.5 mi, then headed off home. This was my second, fairly intense run of the week, so I'm a little sore and tired when I get home. I shower, eat some dinner and retire a little later than I should've onto my ever deflating air-mattress.

'Clank-clang, hissssssssssssss ---- bang'

I wake up about 4am when the heat turns on. We live in an old brownstone, and the heat comes from radiators. Very loud radiators.

My room is small, and there is one radiator in there. A very loud, very loud radiator. Now as much as I love heat in the winter, I cherish sleep more. But unfortunately, it seems I can't have both.

The radiator in the living room (close to my bedroom door) likes to have a nice, metallic conversation with the radiator in my room. Between the two of them I'm woken up when the heat kicks on, which it does about every hour in the early morning, for about 5-10 minutes.

I think the land-lady has a schedule on the heat. The heat is low during the day, off for late night hours, then on for mornings and evenings.

Used to be the heat would wake me up around 7:30am, but with the cold, it's on a lot earlier. There was one night early this week when the heat didn't kick on, but the temperature dropped. So I froze all night long. The land-lady must've adjusted it after that to compensate.

To freeze or to wake up with a start to constant clanging. Not sleep because I'm freezing or because of noise.

I think I'd rather freeze.

16 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

I"m with you, let the freezing commence. ;)

Steve~

12:25 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

I am so with you. We have a heating system that sounds like an airplane taking off. My wife and I have gentle arguments about what time it should start, as she is a deep sleeper and never notices it and likes the house warm when she waked. I, however, wake up whenever the damned thing sets off, though after ten years I've learned to go to sleep quickly.

2:14 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

steve - Yes, at least I can put more blankets on the bed and put on more layers. I'm fine if just the tip of my nose freezes, but I can't sleep with all that racket!

boy - :-) I like that 'gentle arguments' Maybe try just setting the heater for 30 min before waking so it's warm when getting up, but then your sleep is only disturbed for 30min?

2:19 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

you run up a mile long hill with freezing wind in your face.

you are terminally insane.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

Your Brownstone sounds cute. It reminds me of that Beaches movie where Bette Midler keeps hitting the radiator with a wrench and shouts send up the heat!

4:04 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

4D - Thanks;-) All runners are a bit looney!

tod - I never saw that movie! But that is exactly what it's like!!!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Rinning? In snow? Bwaaaaahahahahah!

8:37 PM  
Blogger rauf said...

Nature is kind Snowbug but it can be cruel too at times.

10:02 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

kim - not quite snow so much as freezing wind!

rauf - yes it can be, rauf, yes it can be...

10:24 PM  
Blogger katy said...

i dont go out the door unless its an emergency let alone go running lol

3:48 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

The warmish weather here has me quite freaked out too - I am used to be much colder, and I feel like my internal barometer is all off kilter. But no matter how balmy it gets, you'd be hard pressed to find me running.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Found a library computer that works - whoo hoo - and no death threats today - yet. I'm going to movie - couldn't not take anymore of "mother's house" today. Leaving Thursday I think if all goes well.

Boy, you DO run with the big dogs! You must be in super good shape! 4.5 miles - I don't care how long to do it - impresses the heck out of me.

Oh, I wish I could send you my down feather comforter - (and some Ambien) - I will not need the comforter where I'm going - might need the Ambien if sleeping in the same house with hubby.

5:01 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

heat, give me heat...I can't fall asleep if i am cold...once i am asleep, i can sleep through anything, if i am in sleeping mode...or i am a complete insomniac...either extreme and nothing in between.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

Man, you must be in great shape!
I will always take sleep over warmth. Always. Gardenia might be on to something..a low dose sleeping pill might help.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Jingo said...

I had radiators like that. Turn it up too high and it would be extremely noisy but if you turned it down you'd be bloody cold...

11:32 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

indoors - it is an emergency....the I gained weight and want to lose it- emergency!!

jay - sorry so warm:-( I really appreciate the cold, just not the radiators!!

gardenia - glad you found a computer!! Yeah, I guess you won't be needing any blankets down in the warm!!

dilling - I'll send you a radiator or two;-)

life - I'm with you, sleep trumps everything!

jing - It's a vicious cycle...

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home