Friday, January 19, 2007

It's all fairly trivial

Our work hosted a trivia game last night. They provided some burnt popcorn, pretzels, peanuts and a few beers. They were also kind enough to provide the host of the event, a young man fresh from London.

I'm sure he's been to the states before, and he did make a valiant effort to chose questions that were pertinent to a mainly US crowd, but I think we all would've preferred if he'd left off two rounds: New York and Sports. While the other rounds were fairly international, film, literature, geography etc., the New York round and the Sports round really should've been written by someone who's lived a vast majority of life here.

I mean, not anything against cricket, but it's a sport that we pretty much know next to nothing about.

Somewhere in our past, someone decided it'd be a lot more fun to change the bowler into a guy hurling a hard ball closer to the batsman's head. Then the batsman got all pissed off and decided it'd be a lot more fun to get a good hard over-the-shoulder swing at the ball in order to aim better for the bowler's head.

Then the other guys in the field got really bored and decided they were going to make the batsman run if he made any sort of contact with the ball so they could chase him down and whack him over the head with the ball. So the batsman got all huffy and started really going for the bases.

Then another batsman, who was particularly bad at actually making contact with the ball, pissed everyone off so they booed him off the field after he'd missed three times. Sound familiar? Yeah, baseball. That's what we know here, that's what we all play from the instant we are walking. Not everyone likes the game, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that any American has a hell of a lot better chance at knowing the answer to a baseball question than a cricket one.

Nice guy, and fun time, but next time leave out the cricket?

18 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

BUt if you leave out the cricket, where's the fun? ;)

Steve~

12:54 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

i feel the same way about baseball as I do about cricket...and probably know just about as much...

1:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I always go for the sports category, but not if it is about cricket. The only cricket I am familiar with is the one that chirps in my front lawn endlessly.

2:08 PM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

LOL! Cricket!!! Sounds like a fun time other than that round!

2:27 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

steve - the insect?

dilling - yeah, a lot of people would agree with you. but still you probably could name a baseball team before a cricket one?

2:35 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

dilling - wait, are you from UK?

2:36 PM  
Blogger Jingo said...

Baseball actually quite similar to cricket, except cricket goes on for days while baseball is rather exciting :)

2:58 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

jingoistic - :-) I like going to games, nothing like a hotdog and a big giant beer at a ball game!

3:12 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

molly & rock - somehow the publishing is screwed up so sorry my answer is after the others!

molly - all the others on my team were all pumped for the sports category, surprise! only got one answer that round!

rock - it was fun:-) they need more beer next time!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

The thought of you all in NY trying to answer cricket questions made me laugh. Oh dear! What was he thinking! I loved your description of baseball.

4:13 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

tod - yes, it was kinda like "what? cricket? Are we in the science round? Think I disected one of those things in high school..."

4:26 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

nope, from washington state originally...all i know of baseball is the mariners play for seattle, ichiro plays for the mariners...
that and Cal Ripkin is kind of a cutie....

11:41 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

Yeah, I'm with Dilling on this one. I know about as much about one as the other. I gave up on baseball when I was 8 after I got hit in the face with a baseball bat. Still, cricket? Good luck with anyone outside of the UK knowing anything about that.

11:00 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

suffered from insomnia in the early 80's. went to 2 cricket matches. cured. weird game. mind you I've played occasionally. Just to find out if it's a nice feeling rubbing the ball in your groin. It isn't. Wonder why they do it?

3:23 PM  
Blogger Frank Marcopolos said...

cricket's fer lozerz

3:46 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Ah, four dinners, our english-mon, hhhhmmmmm, that's why they play cricket? I'm game to learn about cricket - -socker too - socker seems very international - my hubby drives me nuts (in more ways than one - he can quote baseball stats 'till the sun don't shine.)

Made it on first leg of trip - am at my mom's sorting stuff out that she can use and that I can't haul in my car - waiting for weather to clear a bit - more snow tonight - 12 foot drifts in places here - - most of the streets are cleared though. My back is not giving me too terrible of fits -

9:57 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Having lived here 13 years I can state that I still don't understand the game, no matter how hard I try.

Its still very quaint to watch as I walk past the cricket green in our village, but I have no idea what they're doing.

10:13 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

dilling - Cal Jr is cute! I used to watch the Oriels back when they had Musini as their pitcher, ohhhh, it was yummy all around;-)

life - hit in the face with a bat? How on earth did that happen! I guess I wouldn't be much of a fan if that happened to me either!

4D - they rub the ball on their groin? that game is weirder than I first thought!

frank - Well, I don't know about losers, but it's for those who prefer a game in which it's OK to have breaks for tea...

Gardenia - 12 ft drifts!! That's a lot of snow, take it easy on your back and be safe out there!

boy - Maybe that's why we simplified the rules and made baseball, we Americans didn't get the rules right in the first place!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home