Thursday, May 08, 2008

Sand

To celebrate a paper submission of some of the people in the lab, our boss suggested a day at the beach by St. Andrew's.

For the first time, in a long time, the sun has been out consistantly and the spring feel is truely getting to everyone. I mean, who wants to sit at your bench when you could be chilling in the sun with a beer?

Of course, the students I hang out with the most jumped at the chance to go to the beach on a workday. Also the postdoc in our office planned the day and to bring the family along.

We're a pretty big lab, so I was surprised on the day that only four of us, not including the boss headed out to the beach. Two other post docs came out for a little bit, but only for an extended lunch break.

I was baffled. When the boss says lets go play at the beeach, who really says no?

I mean, it's not like it was a tropical beach, and the wind was up a bit, but hell. It's Scotland. What do you expect?

The fog was gone, the sand was soft.

The boss amused us by riding his kite buggy up and down the beach during low tide. We had a frisbe.

The freaking sun was out. Really, you can't ask for more. Well, a beer maybe.

The postdoc with the family has two young kids, so that was fun to watch the younger of the two eat sand.

And it was pretty interesting to watch the older one fill up her skirt with sand and take it over to dump on a student who had decided it was a good idea to dig a hole.

I had a great time. Woke up the next day with a bit of a sniffle and windburn, but it was totally worth it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Michael Colvin said...

[When the boss says lets go play at the beeach, who really says no?]

Are they mad? You pump it for all it's worth! Especially if there's a kite buggy thingy involved.

2:27 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

the beach is always worth it.

12:28 PM  
Blogger The Preacherman said...

No pics of teeny weeny bikinis then?

soz. I know. I'm a perv ;-)

11:41 AM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

And that is why some people die an early age...they cant stop and enjoy the simple pleasures in life!

2:41 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

I think I can say with some certainty that if I said to my staff we're taking a day at the beech, no one would say no. Are you're collegues mad?

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home