Thursday, April 24, 2008

Do people actually watch that stuff?

Sadly, yes, and I'm one of them.

I'm referring, of course to the seemingly endless parade of "reality" shows that consume television.

While I don't have a television, the invention of Youtube has provided yet another outlet for this genera.

And since there is always an evening plan and work free...

Well, I've been watching America's next top model on Youtube. It's really sad actually that I am entertained watching pretty, tall, skinny girls bitching at each other for almost an hour.

Common sense would tell me to avoid this show. After every episode I feel a bit shorter and pudgier. Course I am compared to a 115 pound 6 foot Amazonian with great skin.

I definitely think that we of the 21st century are simply replacing the circus freak shows of the past by our own television and media freak shows.

When beauty is abnormally tall, abnormally thin. When popularity is incredible stupidity, or clumsiness, or a high note ever off key.

Would you buy a ticket to stare at a bearded woman in a tent? Probably not. But put her safely tucked away behind the shell of a television screen and the appeal is tangible.

5 Comments:

Blogger Biddie said...

Well, I wouldn't buy a ticket to see a bearded lady, but we have one in town that walks her beagles, so I see enough of her...
You are so right about reality TV. I don't watch the top model shows, or the Idol shows, but give me a train wreck of a celeb, and I am there.
I think it's sad, too, that we judge ourselves based on the too thin, too tall, too bitchy women on TV. We are much too hard on ourselves.

2:40 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

don't watch any of them...except Scott Baio is 46 and pregnant...previously Scott Baio is 45 and Single...
they are too evil.
but Chachi could never be evil.... could he?

7:55 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I just don't do reality TV, can't stomach the stuff, probably because I have my own drama.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

I used to enjoy them in the early days, when normal people got airtime. Now the production companies only seem interested in filming people that thrive on evilness and conflict. They disgust me.

7:29 AM  
Blogger The Boy said...

I saw an add for one this morning that promised to be a celebrity detox clinic. All I could think of was bother?

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home