Saturday, May 26, 2007

Master for a day

Just call me Master.

Although I wish the degree had been a Ph.D. I have to admit, it's pretty cool to think of myself as a master.

Does this mean I get my own light-saber? No? Just a movie? Well, what the...

Fine.

So, I graduate today, officially. The thesis (148pages) has been accepted, the papers signed, the fees paid.

I'm not going to the ceremony, of course.

I would rather throw myself off a cliff than go back to Memphis for that ceremony. There are people there I would be happy to never see again in my life. As a matter of fact, I believe I will make the extra effort to never think of them again.

Now, running buddies, you know I don't mean you. I love you guys, and one day will visit to see the building and go to BBQ fest. Maybe I'll come back for a race we could do together.

But, truth be told, I was in a rough place in life there, both professionally, and socially. Although I've spent this last year cleaning up that mess, changing, growing, learning, this is the official day that I graduate from that horrid place.

That place in my life, in my heart, in my head, and, of course, from that school.

I've planned a calm evening with close friends. Not too expensive and mainly centered around the porch at our place.

Tonight I will sit on that porch and contemplate just how far I've come, and toast a final goodbye to those ghosts I'm finally leaving behind.

16 Comments:

Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Your wish is my command oh master.

Well done babe x

4:29 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Well, congrats ldbug! I'm proud of you...and you better not be talking about us when you say there are people you never want to see again! :) Sorry we never made it to NY to visit, but let us know wherever you end up and we'll plan a trip. Hopefully it's somewhere we've never been before! Love ya! :)

5:07 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Be very proud of your accomplishments, not just the degree, but the getting of the degree too. Sometimes the road is even more momentous than the destination.

1:52 AM  
Blogger katy said...

well done Master, glad you are moving on, remember its onwards and upwards

3:22 AM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

OOPS - I hope comment went to your review place - anyway to finish the comment, you are absolutely on track - to take the good out of there with you and leave the ghosts behind. Best of luck in whatever you undertake now and may you find absolutely the right place to bloom in. You need a spiritual sunshine place to shine upon you instead of that black place at school! I admire that perserverance (sp?) you have!

9:23 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

4D - :-)thanks

heather - of course I don't mean you!! Or Katie or Van, just the rest of the mean old buggers;-P

jay - thanks, I keep telling myself that, and really I've learned so much, but it was still hard to let go..

gardenia - Aww, thanks!!

3:42 PM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

Congrats! :D

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats M A S T E R ladybug!

1:17 AM  
Blogger Biddie said...

Congrats! I know that it has been a long, hard, road. You should be proud of yourself, Ladybug. We are.

11:32 AM  
Blogger dilling said...

congrats, Grad!

1:43 PM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

You got this far and worked this hard, that I think you are entitled to do whatever you want to do to celebrate your graduation! Just make sure you make it memorable and fun!

1:05 AM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Congrats indeed, well done and welcome to the club. It doesn't give much in the way of privaledge other than a sense of achievement, but its not a bad club to join...

7:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats, Master!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Pink said...

Woo Hoo! You rock, master ldbug!

Congratulations - this is a great achievement and a real passage.

Yay!

xx
pinks

2:52 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Kudos to you! I'm so glad you don't feel compelled to go back for the ceremony. Ceremonies suck, even in the best of circumstances.

4:47 PM  
Blogger tideliar said...

Congrats babe

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home