Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Tourist Trap


Last weekend, Soupcan and I ventured into the city to see a few sites that I wanted to catch before leaving New York.

We started at ground zero.

I suppose I knew that it would be a tacky, tourist trap filled with disgusting leaches.

These smarmy people (and I use the term "people" in the loosest form) were busy selling pictures of collapsing buildings, death, pain, horror as souvenirs!

Other tourist-blobs were posing for pictures in front of the chain link fence separating the bipeds from the dust and concrete pit in the process of burying and rebuilding.

There were giant pictures on that fence of pain and billowing clouds of loss.

There were leaches preaching conspiracy theories, accepting money, smug in their self-righteous guesswork.

I went to read the names, to pay respect. I searched in vain for a flower vendor, but there were none.

All I wanted to do was quietly visit the place transformed by a nightmare. To read the names, to leave a flower.

To remember.

I will go back before I leave, just to leave that flower because someone should.

8 Comments:

Blogger MrRyanO said...

You're a very kind soul! NYC will miss such a nice person when you move away!

12:04 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

rock - thanks, but really, I just think it should be second nature for people to show a little respect from time to time, *sigh*

4:39 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

I would do exactly the same thing if it was easily accessible to me.

put a flower up for me too. HUGS

5:07 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Melanie - I definitely will..as a matter of fact, I'll put a flower at the site for every person who comments. So we're at three so far, you, me and rock:-) I'll give it till next Monday, the 21st.

11:40 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Human nature is morbid, likes a specticle of others pain and suffering to relieve our own. Its been that way all along from gladiator death games to throwing vegatables at a hanging to our injury laden sports.

I've stayed away from ground zero when in NY knowning I'd be saddened by the goings on.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Simon said...

Was there a couple of years ago. Are they building a new one yet?

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we were there 3 weeks after it happens n u were not allowed 2 go closer than 3 blocks it smelled v bad tho i remember

4:34 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

boy - that was smart of you

simon - they haven't made much progress, but then they spent a lot of time searching for remains. They actually stopped all work last fall when more remains were found.

pup - That must've been erie

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home