Monday, May 21, 2007

Ladybug Stew

Creativity in the kitchen is vital for a Ldbug living in New York city. Particularly when the bug is very short on money. Very short on money because her old University charges entirely too much money (for a bug) to bind a thesis on "The World According to LdBug."

So, I have invented new food!

Find old pasta on shelf and begin boiling salted water in anticipation of said old pasta.

Dig though refrigerator and find one quarter onion of which half is still usable.

Discard gross part of said onion and chop the rest happily.

Discover half of a tomato unused by Soupcan for sandwich earlier in the week.

Delight in this find for a full minute, then chop finely.

Remember small can of tomato paste on upper shelf and open with can opener before said can opener disappears...again.

Add olive oil to a pan and heat, throw in chopped onion, add salt, plenty of black pepper, garlic powder (no garlic available) and stir for a moment.

Chase cat off of coffee table.

Add chopped tomatoes to onions and a palm full of Italian seasoning.

Stir.

Sigh with exasperation and chase cat off coffee table.

Add can of tomato paste to mixture and one and a half can of water.

Stir with trepidation.

Remember pasta and add to rapidly boiling water.

Add more pepper and salt to tomato mixture.

Stir.

Remove lid from pasta water, which is boiling over and creating a steamy mix.

Add more seasoning to tomato mixture.

Chase cat.

Finally, drain pasta, add to tomato mixture and serve!

Yum, Ladybug stew!

17 Comments:

Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ldbug stew. more onions please

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew...I thought you were going to write eat cat's food! Tuna casserole is a great fave! add potato chips on top!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Z said...

Sounds good to me!

1:08 PM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

That sounds damn good! You should can it and ship it out to your readers!

1:10 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

4D - Yeah, could've used more onion...maybe there'll be more "usable" onion next go around;-)

mrs - That would've been pretty gross! I love tuna casserole!! Actually, I usually do a variation by just making mac and cheese and adding tuna to the mixture no baking needed:-) But sadly, there is no tuna or mac and cheese in the house right now, *sigh*

z - it was pretty tastey

rock - ooooo an idea to make Ldbug money....

1:46 PM  
Blogger katy said...

nowt wrong with that have made worse!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Congratulations on your sense of adventure in the kitchen! I love any directions that encourage you to throw handfuls of things into other things. HOrray!

7:16 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

indoors - yes, yes I could've;-P

jay - somehow I think you'd have come up with something more creative;-)

10:58 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Cooking is not hard, it should be fun. There is an adventure in every empty cupboard!

5:18 AM  
Blogger Pink said...

Believe it or not, there is a green grocer in the Chelsea food emporium - um...I think its 17th street at the river where I used to get 2 large bags of vegetables and fruit for under $20.

Green vegetables essential - even when strapped. Another very cheap alternative is lentils and rice and its a complete protein

She says this after being unemployed for 6 months in NYC.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, eat the presents that the cat drags in. Mickey is not good eatin'
xx
pinks

6:05 AM  
Blogger The Old Mule said...

sounds good, but I can't bring myself to heat soup. Does the onion send it over the edge?

7:11 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

OMG, I just posted a recipe to my blog, too. We're all psychic here, you and I.

By the way, I like the title of your thesis. Very scholarly!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Jingo said...

sounds better than what I usually eat, and I'm not strapped for cash!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

that is ladybug spaghetti! and now I am hungry. What is your addy? I will send a box of food.

HUGS...

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u had pasta did u have olive oil n garlic ? u coulda just made alio olio u just smash up some garlic n saute it in tha oil n pour it over tha pasta its awesome but if u have anchovies throw that in tha oil 2

8:17 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

Love ladybugs, love stew....what could be better?

8:54 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

boy - key words "should be fun" ;-P

Pinks - hear ya, I worry about the veg, since I can afford the rice/lentel/protein..

old mule - cooking is always a chalange...but sometimes you just get hungry;-)

jingo - well I must admitt sounding may be better than tasting...

mel - aw you are sooo sweet!! I'm moving home for the summer , lame but good food and good oportunity to save cash for (top secret)

pup - no garlic, no anchovies...you are the cheff of the group!! I would love to have a recepie of yours!!

biddie - thats what I thought!! :-)

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home