Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Still Under Cover....But Escaped for a Weekend

Well, I wasn't aware of this, but apparently during musical chairs, flowers are acceptable as a bartering method for your time or shared chair...

Added to the lovely flowers, there was a perfect day at Conney Island. If you faithful readers will recall (I'm too lazy and inept at this point to put in a link) I wrote a story about that little strip of Brooklyn last fall. This time was much different.

I had a buddy.



We traveled the F line to the edge of Brooklyn, also known as Conney Island just this last Sunday. After a sun filled day, four rides on the Cyclone (wooden, painful) roller-coaster, and a jaunt on the bumper cars, we settled in the sand with a bag of cotton candy and feet full of sand.


Again, I questioned the fate of this strange piece of sand and boardwalk. Apparently, the plans to destroy the memories, the history, the reason for visiting such a place are still approved for next summer. All I can think of is: What idiots want a sterile, plastic place to tentatively attempt enjoyment from an 18th story condo? If you are a yuppy, leave my site RIGHT NOW, it is you who takes away the absolute joy of a sun stained, sand filled, cold salt water paradise.


17 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Looks like fun.
Well, except for the poor guy in the last picture who put on his hat to keep him company.

5:42 AM  
Blogger The Boy said...

A "buddy"... pray tell more...

They're going to tear down the boardwalk and pier? Ick.

6:56 AM  
Blogger CindyDianne said...

What? Tear down Coney Island? I've never been there and I know that will be a travesty of enormous proportions! Terribly sometimes, this world that puts concrete on so many wonderful and sacred places.

10:01 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

jay - yeah, he looks a little lonely!

boy - some rich developer bought almost the entire thing and wants to put up a hotel and INDOOR amusment park!!

cindy - I know:-(

10:32 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

Amen, sista. You have the funnest "Days Out." I swear.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Jingo said...

That rollercoaster in the background looks tiny!

1:03 PM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

Looks like a fun time! I've driven by, but never had the chance to stop in and play...I guess I must do this before next summer!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

Wow. That place is famous all over the world. I am so suprised they would tear it down.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

I can't believe that Coney Island is going to be destroyed..I haven't even been ther eyet...

2:54 PM  
Blogger katy said...

noway should they be allowed to destroy a piece of history no no no i say

5:18 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

They can't destroy Coney Island!! It's in loads of movies and I've never seen it.

Pinball smile by the way....

5:58 PM  
Blogger Pink said...

hmm...I don't think I'm a yuppie even if i am an accountant.

your buddy is cute ;)

I love coney island. and brighton beach. man I miss NYC!
xx
pinks

11:47 AM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

Interesting LDBUG...I am liking the pics of you and the buddy...I feel there's a story there that's not being told. LOL...still, it looks like you guys had a lot of fun! Too bad there wont be any more places like that for you and the buddy to hang out at...still, at least you'll have the memories.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Coney Island is a landmark - a part of history. Getting rid of it would be like tearing down the Taj Mahal or something like that. How can they think about it?

Nice photos! Enjoyed them a lot - you are a cutie and so is the friend! So glad you had some time to have some fun and also to impress this wonderful place in your memory - there it will never be erased!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Heidi Grether said...

You look so happy and content! Sorry I have been away forever.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Visiting again - garden and flower posts are popping up - I love your bouquet. And again, I love your photos.

8:20 PM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

I'd love to go to Coney Island sometime!

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home