Thursday, May 17, 2007

Master for a day

Just call me Master.

Although I wish the degree had been a Ph.D. I have to admit, it's pretty cool to think of myself as a master.

Does this mean I get my own light-saber? No? Just a movie? Well, what the...

Fine.

So, I graduate today, officially. The thesis (148pages) has been accepted, the papers signed, the fees paid.

I'm not going to the ceremony, of course.

I would rather throw myself off a cliff than go back to Memphis for that ceremony. There are people there I would be happy to never see again in my life. As a matter of fact, I believe I will make the extra effort to never think of them again.

Now, running buddies, you know I don't mean you. I love you guys, and one day will visit to see the building and go to BBQ fest. Maybe I'll come back for a race we could do together.

But, truth be told, I was in a rough place in life there, both professionally, and socially. Although I've spent this last year cleaning up that mess, changing, growing, learning, this is the official day that I graduate from that horrid place.

That place in my life, in my heart, in my head, and, of course, from that school.

I've planned a calm evening with close friends. Not too expensive and mainly centered around the porch at our place.

Tonight I will sit on that porch and contemplate just how far I've come, and toast a final goodbye to those ghosts I'm finally leaving behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home