Friday, March 16, 2007

To the other side

And on the other side of this eastern ocean, there floats a small island jam packed with *gasp* the British Man.

As a followup to the Clasic American Man, I must pay fair tribute to the other side.

British men have one major thing going for them, here in the states. Don't know what it is? Holding your breath? Anticipation building?

They have the accent.

No matter what else they do, no matter what they look like, no matter...the accent here is priceless. At any venue, either riding the train in the morning or lounging at a coffee house, or sidling up to a bar, the accent will attract attention. Women will swoon, men will become your best friend.

Don't believe me? Try it.

The accent is key. The Scots and Irish with their R's, the English with their...hmmmm, not sure how to categorize it, but it's just wonderful to our ears.

The British men use fantastic words we've only seen in books. They change the pronunciation of words like "Aluminum" and use strange ones to describe the world around them. It's cute how a shoe represents the trunk of a car..

British men seem to care more about their wardrobe, preferring a button down to a T-shirt, which they always seem to wear "disco style" when out on the town. But they can get away with that, they have the accent. (American guys, pay attention, do not wear your shirt "disco style" you will be mocked.)

British men enjoy smelling nice (one tip, though, moderation boys, moderation...)

But perhaps their best asset is their humor. British men may have large vocabularies, nice shirts, a pleasant smell and a killer accent, but of all these things, their ability to maintain a witty outlook on life is most likely their best asset.

They may not tell a straight joke, or even project their humorous comment very loudly, but they will slip in that dry humor at every opportunity. Not all Americans get this, they are either not paying attention, can't understand the accent, or just plain don't get it. But if you do get their humor, if you are able to take your eyes off their "disco style" and tune your ears past the sexy accent, you will be rewarded with top quality entertainment.

Cheers to the witty Brit!

And contrary to popular belief, I've yet to meet a British man with bad teeth.

18 Comments:

Blogger tideliar said...

We're a pretty good shag too ;)

12:52 PM  
Blogger Cleavers said...

Oh man, I left the UK to get away from the British men. Believe me, they ain't so great ;-)

1:23 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Do one on homeless men. ;)

Steve~

1:34 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

is it a accent if you live there?

2:25 PM  
Blogger Jingo said...

I definitely agree with this. When I studied briefly in America, the girls couldn't get enough of me.

What kind of British accent though? I'm sure cockney is more desirable than scouse right?

3:09 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

tidy - well so are American men

cleavers - you should do a post on Canadian men and I'll link to you!

steve - hmmmm never dated one though...

dilling - sadly, no, I'm kinda basing these on my experience:-( (an American chick's view)

jingo - :-) really, I don't think the type of accent truely matters to most American women...don't really know what scouse is though...

4:26 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

The only British man I know is a blog friend - but his accent does come through and it is charming -

and Hugh Grant does elicit a sigh.....

my daughter fell for an Aussie because of his accent - and blond hair - and surfer bod - and....

Men in the US have accents - there is the Connecticut accent, the Boston Accent, the Western Drawl, the Southern Accent - etc. Somehow the southern drawl comes across much more charming from the female side...

5:19 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

What is "disco style?" I must know so I can dash to the nearest mirror and check.

5:45 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

gardenia - oh sure, the American Man has accents, it's just that the British one is much more exotic, being further away. The Australian, now there's a post;-)

tod - it's a button down shirt unbuttoned lower on the chest so as to sport any possible chest hairs

5:59 PM  
Blogger rauf said...

Been traveling a lot these days, out of touch with blogs. How are you ?? hope you are doing fine ldbug.

Have you read Wooster and Jeeves ?
PG Wodehouse ? You'd love it, I mean the language and humour. I'll mail you one but I don't see email in your profile

6:08 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

ee by eck lass thas hit't nail on't 'ead tha knows. A tell thi theres nowt sexier than a Lancashire accent 'specially when thiv teken yer t't pub n up road for mushy peas n chips n a meat n tatty pie then anuther pint o light n bitter n then get tha leg ower. ee thas ad a good neet then tha knows

4:21 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

I dated a British man, but his accent was all but gone by the time we hooked up. I don't know about ALL British men, but he was an EPIC shag. (that's all I'm going to say)

5:48 PM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Scouse is what you would have heard in Liverpool, LDB.

Couple of things:

We don't change the pronunciation of "aluminum"; we spell it differently over here (with an "i" before the "um") and that's we way we pronounce it, too.

Glad you explained "disco style", although I don't think that's British per se; more likely seen on the European mainland, I'd think.

There is a tendency to overdose on aftershave; thankfully, I don't do such things.

Our cars have a boot and a bonnet; yours a trunk and a hood. I guess they could all be considering clothing...

And you're right about Americans not understanding the way we speak (altho' I don't think they make much effort).

I once asked a NYPD cop what was "the final score at the match" [NYPD v FDNY hockey at MSG the night before; we'd had to leave early]. He had no idea what I was talking about! I had to say it like three times. Eventually, he said, "Oh, you mean the game!"

Duh, copper, yeah, the game...

11:11 AM  
Blogger Pink said...

Well...I HAVE seen many many English men with baaad teeth. (I live here, don't ya know) And I would say that what English men have going for them in America that they don't have going for them in the UK is that class doesn't matter. A south london labourer can be just as sexy as a posh fop from Notting Hill over in America, but here...the classes shall not meet.

unfortunate, since I'm middle class, and having not grown up here, my social network of other middle class folks is limited to immigrants :(

but yes, I've had a few English lovers now and I'd say they all were epic shags. Some stranger than others - one used to like to narrate what he was doing - now I'm making love to you, I'm kissing your breasts, I'm fondling your thighs...I wanted to scream "I'm here you know, I can tell what you're doing already!"

The Brits can be a strange lot.

;)
xx
pinks

3:07 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Absolutely right about the accent. But where are all these men hiding?

1:03 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

rauf - hello! well, I didn't put my e-mail in the profile due to "an incident" but that is past so: crush720@gmail.com

4D - the accent is coming through, loud and cle...uhhh maybe not so clear, but definitly coming through:-)

* - ahh, then I've heard it. Yeah, I remember now, about Aluminum, you guys spell it the correct way, the actual chemical name. I'd forgotten! I think it's hard for Americans to understand the accent, so a lot just give up!

reverend - Ah, see, well, you live there so I guess you see much more. I'd heard about that class thing, that must be hard...a narrating lover, definitely odd, but very funny!! :-)

jay - they're found in pockets. I went to school at a Univ packed with 'em and now doing an internship at a company based out of London so we have quite a few here too!!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm, a comment. Well at a guess Mr. Angry isn't wearing any shirts "dicso style" at the mo', tho' I'm sure that he would claim to be "EPIC" in bed.

GH

7:59 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

grey - yes, I'm sure he would! British men seem to be pretty sure about their abilities...

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home