Friday, March 02, 2007

A Fantasy of Mine

One of the many fantasies I have is to be rich. I mean, I'm not a particularly materialistic person, but there are certainly those days when I could use a little extra cash.

Since moving to New York, I've been pretty good about money. I've paid off two credit cards, started a savings account and keep myself in check about going out. In fact, I 'go out' only about once a week and a good portion of those times include house parties which are pretty cheap to go to.

Mostly, I'm OK about my finances. Every couple of months I can afford to buy something a little extravagant like a pair of cool boots or a sweater or a pair of jeans. I'm able to pay my rent and my bills and have a little left over for food and spending. I was even able to squeeze in a trip to London over Thanksgiving with money I should've probably used to purchase health insurance. Well, I took the chance and didn't get seriously ill for six months and I got to go to a place I've always wanted to see.

But then there are times when the scrimping and saving, the budgeting and the gamble just throw you for a loop.

I do my own taxes because I'm cheap and, well, they're not particularly difficult for a single person earning only about $30,000 per year.

So I thought.

I did my federal taxes and found the government is going to pay me a nice $200. I'm pretty happy about that. Then I go to try and figure out the state and city taxes for New York.

Huh. Ok. I gather the 50 odd forms and begin wading through this process. There are numerous calculations, mistakes (hence the use of a pencil), head scratchers and moments of utter confusion. Through all of this I remained relatively calm. I just knew that a person living check to check, budgeting to the penny and skipping meals on occasion is not a person the state and city would want to target for more money.

I was wrong. Dead wrong. New York believes I owe them $800. That is a month's rent for me. That is all the savings I've collected. That is the exact amount of money that I have absolutely no intention of paying.

Don't worry, I'm not going to skip out on my taxes. I'm simply going to find a way out of this. I've got a few ideas. 1) Since I'm technically a Montana resident, and plan to move back there in June, do my taxes as a Montanan 2) Do the itemized deduction sheets to take into consideration all my moving expenses 3) Find a very, very rich man tonight who is willing to marry me and pay all my taxes.

I like number 3.

I'll go back over all the paperwork and find a way. Somehow I always do. It just astounds me how any state government can possibly feel it is appropriate to steal from those in one of its lowest tax brackets. I practically qualify for food stamps.

This is ridiculous.

I have many, many obscene words and gestures for the state of New York, however, I think I'll keep this post clean as my parents read it from time to time. "Hi Mom and Dad!"

So as I was saying, I won't type out exactly what I would like to say to this state, or where exactly they can put their tax code, but I will promise them that I will not pay them a months rent. I will die of paper cuts and lead...errrr graphite poisoning before handing them that money. There has to be a loop-hole and I will find it. And when I do, I will share it with each and every one of you.

13 Comments:

Blogger .:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I haven't done my taxes yet. I plan on paying someone else to do it because math and I don't get along.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

The easiest way to get rich is to pay off and stay off those credit cards! You are on your way!

I can never understand the tax thing that you guys go through. In the UK our tax is deducted by our employer at source. We don't even have to think about it. Thank God!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

It's crazy the way NY state and city taxes work. Everyone I know is paying in this year. I think its a conspiracy. I'm rooting for you!!

MKS

3:40 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

ain't it grand?!?

4:03 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

adult - try e-filing, free and it does the calculations for you!

tod - yup, on my way. the only upside I see to this system is that if you actually have to do your taxes at least once you gain a new understanding for gov workings...as in you know if you vote something in, you're going to have to pay for it 'cos it'll be right there in the tax code

meg - it is a nasty conspiracy!!

dilling - argggg to the gov!

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUCK doing taxes suck! I used to pay $800 in rent and that was in a luxury doorman building! It was rent controlled I was lucky.

Don't shop at Dagostinos though, they are kinda expensive!

9:27 PM  
Blogger keNYC said...

well, glad that pencil went to good use. never touched the thing myself.... im more of a Red Pen type of guy...

(oh God, did I really say that? What's happening to me?...)

1:33 AM  
Blogger katy said...

hope you find a solution to this, and good luck with finding the rich man, i tried and couldn't do it lol

5:07 AM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

Arg! Taxes stink! I am convinced that they are the root of all evil...that and donuts.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Jingo said...

Ah taxes... Glad I don't have to pay 'em!

12:00 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

mrs - ah rent control

ken - red pen? you've been working too much...

indoors - yeah, I pretty much know I won't find a rich man, but hopefully I can find a way around this $800!!!

rock - donuts? OK, now I'm hungry

jing - be glad while you can, be glad while you can

12:44 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

That sucks. Big time. It seems like the little guy just keeps getting stuck with the crap, while the other guys get to scrap it off of their boots.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home