Thursday, March 08, 2007

Another Train Post

While I realize that posting about the commute to work is an overly unoriginal topic, I don't care. I'm sick and tired of this particular commute and I'm going to put my frustrations here because, well, it's my blog and I feel like it.

Last week a rail at Broadway-Nassau street decided to crack, or break or dislodge or do something inconvenient which in turn caused my morning commute to crack break dislodge and become inconvenient. No, scratch that, not inconvenient, completely and utterly confusing.

I take the F train to Jay street and transfer to the A or C into the city. The F is fine, that line is fine. The A and C are not, however, fine. They are affected by this Broadway-Nassau incident.

Unfortunately for me, this incident is not a continuous breaking, cracking dislodgment. No, it's intermittent meaning one day my commute is fine, the next, I'm on the A or C and low and behold we're speeding through a part of Manhattan I'm not entirely familiar with.

The best part is there are no announcements that a dislodgement has occurred. So I don't find out until I'm staring at an unfamiliar street name trying to figure out just how the hell I'm going to get to my destination.

I've discovered there are two ways to get to my building. Take the A or C up further into Manhatten and then transfer to head back the way I came on another A or C heading for Brooklyn. (Enjoying the alphabet lesson so far? Stupid trains)

Or, I can transfer from the dreaded A or C at a semi-familiar stop to a J and ride that one over a few streets. I then pop out onto the edge of China-town and run eight blocks to work.

Either way, a 40min commute turns into a 70min commute without warning. As we've already discussed, I'm not a particularly happy morning person and I simply do not have an extra 30 minutes hanging around just in case.

And anyway, I've discovered that no matter how early I get up in the morning, somehow, someway, the world will delay me and I'll arrive at this building at almost the same time each day, but that's another post entirely.

15 Comments:

Blogger Pink said...

girlie...i commisserate...but let me tell you, I rode the NY subway for 7 years and nothing prepared me for the stupidity of the british transit authorities and - worse - the british public.

they get on a train like they're going to grandma's house. shuffle shuffle at the speed of a snail and stand in the doorway scoping out where they might like to stand - of course there are 400 people on the platform waiting to get in behind them. but do they notice? oh no!

I love to hollah in my best new york tone - step in please! or Let 'em off first!

God I miss NYC :)

3:22 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

rev - I can just imagine the looks you get:-)

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from NY and I just updated my post if you want to read the details. We plan to take the subway and I'm not a big fan of that!

3:34 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

mrs - it never is, is it:-(

3:59 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

That's totally crummy. Last weekend, there was a 50-car pileup on the highway near my house because of a snowstorm I guess, and a normaly 40 minute drive took people 8 hours.

9:10 PM  
Blogger keNYC said...

STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING DOORS


sorry, just felt like impersonating one of those subway dudes.


hey, you know what you should do? move into an 8-person apartment in chinatown, so you have a 20 minute walk to work everyday and thus can afford to stay up until 3 AM every morning blogging and then wake up at 930 all bright eyed and bushy tailed, like a squirrel (oh wait, no, you dont wake up like that, you barely are able to drag yourself out of bed and then youre a zombie all day at work). it's all gravy though because today is friday!!!

2:07 AM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

You should get a horse and ride to work. or not...

10:34 AM  
Blogger Jingo said...

I remember when I had to go from Liverpool to London by train. Not only was I late but I got attacked my geese at Hyde Park!

Oh and btw, I've changed the blog to: "A Blank Canvas" at

http://blankcanvasses.blogspot.com

If you could change your link, that'd be much appreciated. :D

2:59 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

This sounds like something I had a nightmare (reoccuring) about - and the end result is that I can never find the building I work in........(in the dream).....this is much too close to that.........

10:33 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

holy, look at your input... none of my experience compares...half or more of the time, Vancouver Sky Trains don't even know if you have a ticket or not... which, of course, I ALWAYS do...when I am in Vancouver.

1:13 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

You need a car - 'specially in't morning - like mine. I get in, it moves, I arrive at work. I rarely have any recollection of the journey. My car knows the way.

5:23 AM  
Blogger katy said...

hate public transport try to avoid it at all costs! get a bike and cycle to work yeah? ok no then!

6:11 AM  
Blogger Pink said...

I'm sure those geese that attached Jingo were Canadian. Damn those Canadians! ;)
xx
pinks

5:19 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

A 70 minte commute? Shit...I commute five seconds to the office upstairs. ;)

Steve~

11:36 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

jay - 8 hours!! I'd have holed up in a snow cave by then...

kenyc - yes, that's what I should do...

rock - I would love a horse, just a matter as to where to keep it, hmmmmm

jingo - attacked by geese!! Those things are mean!

gardenia - a reoccuring nightmare, my every morning, really what's the difference?

dilling - sadly, I suppose there are a lot of people in the same boat (crappy train) as I am...

4D - oh, I miss my car! I left it in Montana, but really with the traffic here, could be just as bad if not worse!

indoors - if it was shorter, I would love to bike. As it is, I have to go quite a ways through some pretty heavily trafficked areas, and across the bridge. That, and I don't have a bike anymore, it was given away:-(

rev - sneaky Canadian geese;-)

steve - lucky!!!!!

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home