Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Annoyed

I seem to be pretty annoyed at every little thing this week. It has to be the early morning. That plus the exceptionally loud heater at 5am. And the fact that we're now roasting in our apartment. And my cat keeps escaping downstairs resulting in a chase in the morning pre-shower and a chase in the evening pre-bedtime. And I'm working on confidential which is sopping up time, energy, and brain power.

Anyhoo, so I had a plan for a nice happy post today, but I'll save that for tomorrow because I've got another annoyance I just feel you should all hear about.

As you may or may not know, New York city is a busy place.

Very busy.

Very full of important people doing important things,unimportant people doing unimportant things and all the in-betweens. Every where you go there will be people.

Take the coffee shop down the street here. There will only be one or two seats available at any given time during the day, sometimes requiring two or more strangers to share a table or other small space.

In all this humanity, personal space is something of a luxury, however, it seems that most people here have some sort of place to call their own.

That is nice.

I just wish that some people would chose to use that room/apartment whatever to do things that I just don't want to see/hear.

I don't appreciate the loud 'smacking' of lips next to my left ear while I'm enjoying a coffee and reading confidential. I don't appreciate the canoodling, snuggling, fondling, baby-talk happening within mere inches of my person.

There are certain levels of familiarity which are appropriate for a Starbucks. I'd say holding hands, mild flirtation, a couple light kisses are fine. I'd say any more than that is just not for my PG version of Starbucks.

People, we need to get along here and inciting my urge to maim is not going to make this easy on you or anyone. So, my final plea to the city of New York, please, please, please, keep your tongues, tunes, and hands to yourself on the streets, in the cafes, and on the trains.

8 Comments:

Blogger Pink said...

Lol. I'm with you! I can't stand pda's (public displays of affection)

please. get a room!

it seems to be a national sport here in London tho'

I commisserate!
xx
pinks

4:34 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

I'm with you all the way on this one. We were sat in a crowded departure lounge recently and a really noisy woman got her mobile out and proceeded to play every ringtone to her friend. Unbelievable!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I don't know about this stuff - where I live, nobody actually goes inside to drink coffee. All the shops have drive-throughs, so we all enjoy our coffees from the privacy of our cars.

6:32 AM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

Oddly, I also am not in favor of the public displays of affection...take it private!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Biddie said...

I hate people that groom themselves in public. I was on the bus a couple of weeks ago, and this girl took her shoe off and clipped her toe nails. Seriously.
I have no problem with showing affection, but I loathe watching couples grope each other. Oh, and anther fav of mine? Discussing your sex life in public..
EWWW
I do NOT want/need to know how big any part of your anatomy is. Nor do I care how long ypu can 'go', or hear the play by play.
Gross.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

As I read the posts of some of the New Yorkers' blogs I feel a bit jealous - but I see there are downsides to being there - I think the worst I have seen here is a gal in front of me in a restaurant whose lowriders had slunk under her butt and the only thing covering the crack was a string. I had an insane urge to pull out my indelible marker and make an idelible face on her butt.

Well, sounds like you've plenty to be annoyed with - I truly hate apartment living - and all the sounds, noise, waiting for repairs....and I remember the snooping. Also chasing cat down the stairs in below zero weather and pajamas on. My Ms. Meowi is so enjoying having a yard - she goes out to the warm sidewalk and rolls and rolls.

As for rude people - I don't know, I guess a glass of wine, (OR, LOL, staying drunk) or escape to the country, or maybe singing loudly until they stop - - - I have run into groups of folks at a table in a restaurant getting drunker than skunks and progressively louder until we can't converse. Oh, they are everywhere - the rudies.

11:39 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

rev - oh no, England is worse?!

tod - and with the increasingly stupid ringtones available these days I can only imagine your pain!

jay - oh to be back in my car...soon soon!!;-)

rock - definitely!

gardenia - yes, they are. I'll take that advice after my run tonight, a glass of wine with dinner sounds nice:-)
biddie - now That is one I haven't seen! (yet)

1:35 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Some canoodling is allowed, do it myself with the wife sometimes, too much is an intrusion. There's naught so strange as folk.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home