Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Dirty looks

After spending two weeks in fresh air, mountains, small town life, I’m back in the city. I feel better prepared, got the fabulous boots, wearing a skirt to work, and received a perfect, long coat for Christmas that effectively blends me into all the other women here.

All well and good.

Ah, but the city life has worn on me. Either that, or I’m just exhausting myself from coughing, which is putting me in a fairly rotten mood. I’m back at work, after a commute that seems longer than when I left, a stuttered start running up and down stairs at the apartment for missing items, and a long, frustrating search for my work ID through my bag (not there).

There is one other thing nagging me, OK, several things are on my mind, but one stands out. I saw a job opening to teach Biochemistry at the private, local college in my hometown. All that is needed to apply is a Ph.D. in a related field by August 2007.

No Post doc necessary, no more hoops, just the degree and I could be home, be around people I understand, mountains I recognize, around my parents who are getting to the point where they’ll need their kids to be close to help out from time to time.

Unfortunately, I’m short on those letters. According to local lore, a Masters could work and I could go for the Ph.D. later. But I’m unsure. I think I’ll still need the degree. Besides, I'd prefer be done with the studies sooner rather than later.

So as I sit here under the resolute glare of co-workers as I unsuccessfully attempt to remove my left lung in between conversations lacking volume control since my ears are clogged, I’m resigned to search for a program. I’m going to find that place for me. I’ve a list of 25 schools in Britain, which could work. I’ll start at the top and work my way on down. Looks like Abertay is the first. Anyone know anything about the area?

11 Comments:

Blogger The Boy said...

You looking for a university to do the degree at, or private schools to work at? Have a father in law, b-i-l and s-i-l with PhD's in chemistry (all UK trained and who also run a private lab) so can get the inside as you need.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Glad you made it back to the city! Anyway, you should definitley at least apply for the job at the college. My mom is a professor at the University of Memphis Nursing School with only an MS in Nursing...no PhD. What's the worst that could happen for applying...you get turned down? Not a big deal! And then you could work on your PhD while you teach! Just a thought. Good luck!

2:32 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

boy - alas, I'm looking to go back to school, not get a real life job;-) But if they have any suggestions on where to look for Biochem and Structure programs I'm all ears. Also looking for small town, tired of this big city life!

heather - oh, I know but I'd have to do a lot of traveling back and forth to do a Ph.D. and teach since the college is not in the same town as the University offering degrees. That would be part time and really a lot of driving, ugh! So hoping to just get-er-done right up front;-)

4:15 PM  
Blogger katy said...

great to have you back, hope you feeling better:-)

8:49 AM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

I worked ona project in Brooklyn for two weeks and that was enogh to wear me down. I guess city life can be like that!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Ohhh ya!! Abertay! I know all about Abertay! Great place. Great. Really, just fantastic.

I am of course lying...

I know nothing. ;)

Steve~

11:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with Heather, it can't hurt to apply for the job, but the commuting to get the PhD doesn't sound like much fun. Good luck finding a place in Britain to study (unfortunately I can be of no help in that information department)!

12:08 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

Welcome back, cold and all.
If i could send along some of this turkey soup I've been living on for a week, I would.
Hope you get all your decisions sorted and on track to what you want and deserve soon.
feel better

1:45 PM  
Blogger DILLIGAF said...

Hey!! I've been to Dundee. I've drank in Dundee. Why was I in Dundee? Haven't a clue. It was '79 I think and I wandered Scotland for no discernible reason. I remember being in Cumbria then next I knew I was in Scotland. I think I met a girl from Dundee and ended up there. Still at least I remember as it was '79. '78 is a complete mystery.

Look. Do what feels right for you. That's it. It feels right do it. (with the possible exception of mass murder of course)

4:18 PM  
Blogger DILLIGAF said...

oops...approval? missed that. doubled up. soz. pissed again

4:18 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

indoors - I am now:-)

rock - I know, I think it's the comuting really

steve - ha-ha

molly - I've considered it, I guess it's also the thing of wanting to be done with school before I'm 40. If I got the job, then I'd work there for awhile, then go back in a couple years, part time, working a semester, then going to school a semester, and I just think it'd drag out so long...

dilling - turkey soup sounds wonderful!;-)

4D - good drinking in Dundee, eh? well, that deserves a look;-)

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home