Thursday, April 12, 2007

A matter of inconvenience

I'm looking for paper.

Not normal paper, I'm looking for a particular type of paper that apparently must weigh 20lbs and contain 25% cloth or something to that effect that is just as stupid.

My old school is demanding that I spend an exorbitant amount of money on paper so that the thesis I submit to them will last forever.

The fact is, my thesis is already out of date. It's science for pete's sake. By the time an article is published, it's old news.

So why, in the name of all that is stupid and frivolous do I have to spend days searching an incredibly inconvenient city for stupid paper that may last ten more years than normal everyday, cheap, from the office paper?

Because they are idiots, that's why.

At the metropolitan museum of art they have countless displays of Egyptian papyrus paper records. That paper is made from a damn plant and lasted for thousands of years just so future generations could decipher them: "...two barrels of beer were delivered to Arsifat in compensation for a cow......blah blah blah..."

Who cares.

Even worse, no one cares about my thesis, it'll be printed on this stupid paper to sit idle for the next 50 years until Memphis falls into the Mississippi (a day I dream about with relish).

Somehow, I feel better after reminding myself that that stupid city full of stupid theses printed on stupid, expensive paper will inevitably be ravaged by a massive earthquake and completely flooded by the angry Mississippi river.

I think the fact that I'm wearing wet socks is affecting my mood...hmmmm

10 Comments:

Blogger dilling said...

I would think a computer disc would last even longer...and it's 50 cents or so, now, right?

12:00 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

I'm also surprised that they are not submitted electronically these days. I hate it when the printer churns out loads of wasted paper.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

You never know - perhaps your thesis will be found someday in the way future by someone or more than one someone and be handled with awe - ahhhhh, the paintings we do and the words we write are part of our immortality I do think.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Pallav said...

Ah, thesis and paper...well I gave mine printed on just normal paper, cuz I know its gonna eat dust in my department's library and the future students are gonna learn from my mistakes by repeating them :) he he

N

6:04 AM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

Yeah, I dont get why you cant just send your thesis electronically and have them print it out on the special paper. I mean, they must have some, right? How else would they know that it lasts so long?

3:57 PM  
Blogger CindyDianne said...

poor trees. stupid Memphis.

(I am mad at Memphis right now because the blasted Tigers beat Texas A and M in the basketball quarter finals. I carry a grudge)

5:24 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

The most important and intriguing bit of this is why are your socks wet? Inquiring minds need to know.

6:23 AM  
Blogger sciurine said...

Hey, nice blog here.

I must commend you for actually writing a thesis! It amazes how much energy people are willing to put into research, albeit knowing that evidence presented will fade all too quickly.

G'luck finding the paper!

~ sciurine.blogspot.com

9:39 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

dilling - the fear is that anything digital or disc-like will be outdated really quickly and therefore unreadable..

tod - they're trying to begin online versions, but I didn't get to do that

gardenia - ha, that'd be interesting..

nothingman - exactly how I feel!

dt - they don't want to pay for it, I have to pay for the printing, paper, and binding

cindy - agreed, stupid Memphis and poor trees!

4D - rain, rain, more and more soaking rain. Not just a little bit of rain either, the kind that soaks you after 30sec outside!!

sciurine - thanks:-)

7:52 PM  
Blogger ShouFarn said...

Its better to have the thesis in both electronic and paper form. Or whatever.

I've heard of horrifying cases where there is a departmental overhaul in pharmaceutical companies or university departments, and they need more space for stuff, so they junk old thesises and other assorted papers.

What science are you involved in? I'm doing biomed science myself.

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home