Monday, March 26, 2007

Let Down

Alas, I didn't make it to the bubble blowing (soap bubbles) event. I did hear that it wasn't all that great. Apparently the guy in charge was some sort of bubble blowing nazi where people ended up light headed from all the bubble blowing.

So, having missed out on the hyperventilating, I still hopped a train to the city mostly to avoid the laundry monster. I met up with the RM and The South, watched some street art, then we headed to the bookstore sans South who was shivering in flip flops and an old sweatshirt. The poor kid still has trouble realizing that March in the north is not even remotely balmy.

I am just about finished with a book, "The Source" which is a pretty long read, so I thought I'd pick up something light. I grabbed "The Time Traveler's Wife" and all was well since I didn't really start reading it right away. I mostly perused the first chapter and sipped coffee. RM and I trotted out to wander around the Met (Metropolitan museum of art) and after a meandering walk among famous paintings of famous people, we both headed back for Brooklyn. RM had a show to go to, I decided to retire to the tea shop with my book.

All was well until I really started reading, then I couldn't put the book down. Well, I did put it down briefly to have a few beers and try my hand at karaoke at a bar on the way home from the tea shop, but it was a brief respite. I spent all Sunday reading and finished the book last night. Now I'm stuck. I feel like my head is in a cloud and all I can think about is that book. I even had a crazy moment this morning where I almost picked it up to read it again. Thankfully I didn't. I keep thinking about the characters, what if this had happened, what if..blah, books can be so all consuming.

I'm going to get more coffee here, and try to focus on the real world. Oh, and I've got a joke for you guys (teaser for tomorrow's post): A guy walks into a bar in a kilt...

16 Comments:

Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

and there was a fan by the door... woo hoo~!

i was looking at a book in starbucks today, called the hope? (can't really remember) about a young man who escapes and african children's army. now that will bring you back down to earth. yikes.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

[Some sort of buble blowing Nazi] Ha! Made me laugh!

I have read the Time Travellers Wife and I couldn't put it down either. So gripping and sad and AMAZING!

1:37 PM  
Blogger katy said...

have read that book its a very good read, oh i waiting for the joke come on come tell it now please, love jokes

1:51 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

mel - actually there was a draft...

tod - oh wasn't it? I'm still trying to convince myself to leave well enough alone and not read it again. I'd just lose another day and still mourn over the sad parts! It's weird, though, I always have this traumatic feeling after reading a great book about how if I could just get inside that book and change things...you know, like in the horror movies be able to say "look out!" at the right moment..

indoors - well, it's not so much a joke as an event that happened in the tea shop...

2:55 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I read that book all at once, and woke Jason up at 3 am with my sobbing. I heard Jen and Brad had optioned the film rights, but being divorced probably put a wrench into that plan.

3:54 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

jay - I hope they (any Holywooder) don't make a movie out of it. I think that would ruin the experience

4:19 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

The part about him travelling back to his mothers car crash and seeing himself there multiple times and different ages was so weird.

Please God NO! Brad & Jen must not be allowed to spoil this book!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

What am I missing with this book? I feel so left out, because I have NO idea what you are talking about!
The guy in the kilt? My brother, getting married in May. All of a sudden, he's scottish and feels the need to express that thru his wardrobe. Sad.

5:02 PM  
Blogger keNYC said...

is this the book your high school classmate wrote?

11:54 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Only stopped for a quick Karaoke? I am out of things, that is not something I would ever have stopped reading a book for!

Haven't read that one, will have to find a copy.

5:37 AM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

You put down your book to drink beer and sing...that brought tears to me eyes it was so beautiful!

9:25 AM  
Blogger dilling said...

bubble nazi....heheheheheh.
that is a fine mental picture!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Jingo said...

I've stopped reading since it devours my life and I really need time to study!

2:59 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

tod - I know!!

biddie - It's called "the time traveler's wife" by Audrey Niffengger apparently it came out in 2004, but I hadn't heard of it till now either! maybe your brother just wants to go comando on his wedding day;-)

ken - naw, I'll let you know about that one

boy - well, it was Sat. night and all, and beer was involved...

rock - I'm thinking tears of pain? I'm not much of a singer..

dilling - isn't it? I can only imagine. My friends looked positively worn out from the experience!

jingo - I hear you. I need to put books away for a bit and concentrate on things here!!

4:43 PM  
Blogger Z said...

What is it with that book? I was just the same, and cried buckets too.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Sounds absolutely delightful, I wish I could spend a day like that - and I can't wait to read the book!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home