Thursday, March 22, 2007

What they did

This summer is my 10 year high school reunion. I'm looking forward to it in the way that I look forward to doing my laundry. I'm glad I went through the effort and I found a few shirts or favorite pairs of socks that were hidden away at the bottom of the basket. But in the end, it's not the most enjoyable of experiences and I sort of wish I could skip the whole laundry affair.

I've already begun preparing for this event (the reunion, not my laundry). I've forced a diet upon myself and done some running to get back to high school weight.

I've ogled a skirt for a month that I know would be just perfect for the event (again, reunion not laundry) once I save enough to buy it.

I've finished off a second degree and worked my way through a very important internship.

I've traveled to England, Scotland, Italy, and France and lived in two major US cities.

I should be ready, I should feel confident.

I should and I was until last night.

You see, I've been slowly searching out old classmates online. Half to help locate them for the reunion committee, and half out of curiosity. I already know where some are partly because I've remained close to some from our group, and partly because my parents still live in my hometown so they and the other parents tend to update each other on the goings on of their respective children.

People are surprisingly hard to find, well, they're hard to find when you can't remember some last names and you're really not looking too hard, just tooling around on Google. But some people have certainly made a name for themselves and Google loves them.

I found one last night who's published a book. What?! Published a book?! What the hell? Who publishes a book? Honestly! I mean, I find some of these people and they're all out saving the world and writing books and doing fantastic amazing things that I really can't compete with. (imagine a lot of gesturing here, emphatic gesturing)

So I did the only thing I could, I bought the book. I'm sure it will be fantastic and I'll end up feeling really proud that my little town has generated such great people.

But for now, I'm just a teeny bit jealous. That and, for the moment, I'm really not looking forward to dealing with laundry.

11 Comments:

Blogger katy said...

so they have a book published, but have they traveled, have they got a degree, you go an show them girl, good luck, with the re-union not the laundry lol

2:48 PM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

Is this an episode of Friends? LOL! School Reunions seem to be very stressful for many people. I think if people liked me I would go to my reunion, for now, I think I'll read about yours and pretend I know that guy who wrote the book. LOL!

2:52 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

publishing a book is easy, you only have to pay someone off. Two degrees and travelling the world is not. Stand tall, you have a life to be proud of.

3:11 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

indoors - yeah, this guy apparently has traveled the world which is part of what the book is on...I think

rock - it is stressful! I mean, being happy for people and also feeling you've made a contribution is hard. yes, enjoy, there will be more of this, I'm sure!! :-)

boy - I also have a friend doing humane work in Afganistan. Seriously, these people are amazing!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

An actual real life school reunion? Blimey, I would rather stick pins in my eyes.

3:44 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

tod - oh, I'm sure it won't be that painful, just mildly uncomfortable;-)

6:21 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

I went to school with someone that has published a book. She also married her highschool sweetheart and after 2 kids is back to highschool weight.
I have been divorced 2x, I haven't travelled anywhere...well, maybe prison after my court date....
Thing is, I am actually pretty happy. Yeah, I know, Ms. Bi-polar is happy? I am. Who cares what anyone else has done?
You have done alot to be proud of.
Anyway, is this guy's book even good?

11:06 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

So many things look better on paper than they are in real life. I used to get psyched out by my college's alumni magazine, until I ran into enough people to realize they might send in amazing-sounding updates, but their day-to-day lives were nothing to envy.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

yea. and I bet they have someone else doing their laundry.ARGGGG

You have accomplished quite a bit. don't feel guilty cuz you aren't published... YET!

:wink:

5:35 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Take it from an ol' lady - don't be jealous. Remembering back, I found at the 10th high school reunion, everyone was so busy trying to impress everyone else that it wasn't a lot of fun. At the 20th, reality started to set in, some folks were confronted with real life (not always a story book, published or unpublished) and humbled and were pretty close to real people. The 30th - well, I didn't get to it - but I hear stories that there were a few flashing fur coats and diamond rings, but most were sagging a bit and flashing pictures of grandchildren and were pretty authentic people! So hang in there and remember you will find those friends that will be worth treasuring a lifetime - but don't pay any attention to the phonies - k?

8:56 PM  
Blogger rauf said...

I am still smiling.

Just go there, say that you have managed to stay human. Please apologise for eating and drinking and breathing thus draining the earth's resources like oxygen water, fruits vegetables., and you have no intentions to save the world as the world has the capacity to heal itself, so it doesn't need any one's help. Raise your voice and ask is there any one who wants to destroy the world ? Join me. You'll get all the attention.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home