Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Staten Breeze



What is a better way to spend an afternoon than on a free ride out to Staten Island? Well, I'm sure you might have a better idea for example: 1) spending time with family, 2) taking a day trip to the country, 3) ski trip, 4) going to a movie.

Since 1) my family is a couple thousand miles away, 2) the country is expensive and far away, 3) I left my skis at my parents, and 4) I can't find a decent movie theatre in this city, I thought, "Hell, why not!" and boarded the ferry with THE SOUTH for a chilly ride past the Statue of Liberty.

Seemed appropriate since the next day was a national holiday anyway. How better to spend the day before Presidents day than glimpsing our nation's most recognizable symbol.

So that is what we did.

Of course, being too cheap to actually take the ferry to liberty island, we flirted past the Statue on the free ferry which actually does give you a pretty decent, though fleeting, view.

Once at Staten island, THE SOUTH and I decided to actually check it out seeing as neither one of us had actually visited Staten before.

Sadly, I can report there isn't much to see. But I can tell you where to get a decent sandwich, beer and listen to Ace of Base. Ah, yes, it appears we lunched in the '90s. And you'll be happy to know the sandwiches are significantly cheaper, as is the beer, and Ace of Base pretty much sounds the same.

We left after dark and caught a glimpse of the Statue all lit up, torch and all, then headed to a speak-easy in Manhattan. An honest to God speak-easy. Of course it's legal now, but still hard to find. Just a dark door on a non-descript neighborhood street.

I was slightly disappointed that we didn't have to know a special knock or something but regardless, it was a pretty interesting place. The walls were plastered with pictures of famous writers who had frequented the establishment in the past, and the micro-brewed beer wasn't too bad either.

We crossed midnight into Presidents day as true Americans having viewed the Statue of Liberty, rocked out to Ace of Base, and sampled the brews at a bustling speak-easy.

picture courtesy of www.kevincraig.us

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

*singing* I saw the sign...it opened up my eyes...*end singing*

Ahh the memories. I still find Ace of Base songs to be pretty catchy (oops did I say that out loud?)

A real live speakeasy? That is pretty cool, though I agree the experience is diminished by the lack of secret knock or code word to gain admittance.

12:23 PM  
Blogger katy said...

i cant wait to visit the statue of liberty maybe next year, oh well i can dream think it maybe 2010 before i get there! always an optermist me!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

Ace of Base...LOL!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Sounds like a simply wonderful way to celebrate President's day - not many of us get those kind of experiences - (I hitchhiked to New York once but got lost - never did get to see the grand lady - the Statute of Liberty) - and what a perfect way to end your day - !!!!!

2:42 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

molly - yeah, I think we were both singing along b/f we realized it! The speak-easy was really cool, I'm glad I sorta know where it is now;-)

indoors - you'll get there, she's smaller than you might think, but definitly worth the view!

tod - I know, it was odd

gardenia - hitchhiked? wow. Well, never done that!

4:33 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Ace of Base???? You worry me sometimes....

5:32 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

4D - hey now, I didn't ask for the music choice, it just so happens that Saten island is very old and apparently stuck in the '90s...and I happen to remember that song (plus we had had a few)

7:19 PM  
Blogger keNYC said...

but ld, how are you going to leave out the guillotine and the bartender who spanks people?? ;)

7:19 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

kenyc - Oh yeahhhhhhh!! I totally forgot that little bar...I'll leave that to you!! hopefully people will link to you!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Wow, time travel, that's impressive.
Actually, sounds like a pretty decent way to spend the day, all in all.

9:34 PM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

I bet that the professor in "Back to the Future" would like to know that it's easier to simply board the ferry to Staten Island than it is to mess with a Delorian for time travel...

10:04 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

jay - yes, it kinda was:-)

rock - true, true...of course, the Delorian was a little more exotic;-)

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home