Thursday, February 15, 2007

One or the Other

I had intended to post a letter to SAMSUNG about their less than par products, but having just spent the last hour on the phone with my credit card company, I think I'd prefer to write to them today.

Dear Credit Card co.,

You are a tricky people. How exactly do you manage to train your staff so expertly in the skills of misdirection? I actually am impressed. I could be angry, mind you, but really, I'm impressed. In order to emphasize my appreciation for your staff, I have included an excerpt of a conversation I had with one of your many lovely sales people this morning.

*Jill: "Good morning, I'm with credit protection and I understand that it is your wish to cancel the credit protection on your card this morning."

Me: "Yes please, I would like to cancel the protection since the fee is a bit too expensive and I was not aware this feature had been added to my card."

Jill: "Well first, let me congratulate you on getting this far. Most people give up after the first two or three transfers, that is assuming they make it past the recordings."

Me: "Why thank-you! I do pride myself on the stubborn will to save money."

(we exchange a hearty laugh together)

Jill: "I will need you to, of course, re-confirm your full name, mother's maiden name, permanent address, mailing address, phone number, pet's name and blood type before we continue."

Me: "Certainally...(classified)...is that all you'll need? The last sales person requested an oath to turn over my first born to your company."

Jill: "Yes, it's simpler here, we've already weeded out the faint of heart at this point."

Me: "ahhhh"

Jill: "So I understand you wish to cancel the credit protection?"

Me: "Please."

Jill: "And were you unhappy with the benefits?"

Me: "Well, Jill, to be honest, I just caught two charges to my card from California, as I'm in New York and could not have made those purchases, I feel the protection has let me down."

Jill: "I see, but there are other benefits to the credit protection. These include a free waive of fee for any first marriage, divorce, and entry into graduate school."

Me: "Interesting, I did not know that. But as I've been married, divorced and to graduate school it seems any benefits do not apply to me."

Jill: "Ah, but what I can do for you today is to lower the cost of your monthly fee to half of what you are paying."

Me: "As tempting as that is, Jill, I am not receiving any benefits what-so-ever for this service so it seems silly for me to keep paying for it even at a lower cost."

Jill: "Well, it's not silly to us."

Me: "No I would think not, but I would still like to cancel the protection, please."

Jill: "Alright then, there is an added benefit I could add leading to a fee exemption upon purchase of your first home or boat. Additionally, I would lower the current fee for you to half of what you are paying and in that way we could continue to bill you for a service you don't really need, OK?"

Me: (soft laughter) "No just cancel it please."

Jill: "So we are going to go ahead and add the boat purchase fee today then."

Me: "No we are canceling the protection today."

Jill: Pause

Me: "Please cancel the credit protection."

Jill: (sounding hurt and defeated)"The cancellation will go through in 2-3 days and you will see it on your statement."

Me: "Thank-you."

Jill: "Please call if you want the boa-

'click'

As you can see, your people are resourceful and willing to put every moral in jeopardy to make a sale. Please pass along my apologies to Jill, and congratulations on succeeding in duping so many other of your customers into adding credit protection to their card on the off chance they may purchase a boat in the next 30 days.

Sincerely,

Ldbug

*name changed to protect the crafty sales-person

19 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you were able to resist the crafty salesperson and hold true to your goal. Just like Jill to try and lure you with the boat purchase, it usually works like a charm!

12:16 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

molly - yes, it was tempting;-)

1:02 PM  
Blogger katy said...

well done in getting through to them!

2:23 PM  
Blogger rauf said...

Next time please buy the boat submarine F16 or B2 bomber if offered.

4:36 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

indoors - Why thank-you:-)

rauf - Now I would've paused in considering the submarine F16;-)

6:39 PM  
Blogger The Editor in Chief (it's weird what some parents will name their child) said...

I hate them all! I my mobile phone broke - the colour screen went wappy - so I took it to the shop.

me:"It's gone weird, one moment it was fine the next this!"
shop:"It looks like you dropped it."
me:"Nope, just did it."
shop:"Hmm, well sometimes there can be a fault, but they can happen at anytime so I'm afraid you're not covered for that."
me:"But I didn't do anything."
shop:"It looks like it though."
me:"The fault could have happened in transit to me and just broken now."
shop:"Yes, but you can't prove that, and it looks like drop damage."
me:"Err, so... what?"
shop:"I can send it to our repairs dept. but they'll say the same thing and you'll be charged £50 to get your phone back."
me:"WTF?"

I left. Customer Service is a serving of something painful up the...

Another time in a restaurant for a friends birthday party, when singing Happy Birthday the chair someone was on broke throwing her to floor and the Manager tried to blame it on us because we "were singing rather loudly."

4:44 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

editor - 50 pounds? That's a good portion of the cost of a new phone!

10:38 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

"I paid you for protection"
"Yes"
"A £2,000 purchase has been made in Ankara, Turkey"
"Yes"
"I'm in England"
"Yes"
"Your protection hasn't worked has it?"
"No"
"Cancel it and refund the money immediately"
"Yes"

and it was done. I don't think that guy made much commission with his pitch.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Biddie said...

I hate dealing with those people. I recieved a call from my cell phone company last week. The caller (who barely spoke english, and was quite rude) informed me that my bill was $480. I knew damn well that it wasn't, since I make payments every 2 weeks, and my previous balance was only $200. When I explained this, my bill suddenly went down to $280. Hmmm...I made a payment of $50 a week ago, and should leave me with $150, current AND past due. He insisted that not only was I LYING, and that I hadn't made a payment, he wouldn't transferr me to an english speaking, polite person. I finally got it all worked out 2 days ago. My $50 payment had gone into THE WRONG ACCOUNT, and I did, in fact, owe, $150.
I swear, you have WAY more patience than I do. I was ready to give up.

12:12 PM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Playing catch-up a bit here...

Going back a good few years ago, I bought my first DVD player. A Samsung. Today I've been having a clearout and I found all the myriad letters of complaint I wrote to Samsung way back when. (In 2000, to be precise.)

I will never buy another Samsung product as long as I live.

1:19 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

4D - Lucky! Wish I'd gotten someone like that..maybe it's the company

biddie - I would've hung up on the jerk and called back to try and get a new person. 'Course, then you have to go through the automated system again...

* - I didn't want it! I have no choice, the Nokia, lovely Nokia was $50 more that I don't have...I'm sooooo hoping my old phone will dry out and start working magically in the next week!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

AGHHH!!! I HATE SALES PEOPLE!!!

Steve~

3:33 PM  
Blogger Jingo said...

sales people are the devil's workers!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Oh, your story had me brewing hot again - thinking of my cell phone insurance - well, the phone was lost, and I was informed I could get a new phone for $50.00. After much griping, stating that I could get a new one for $19.99 on the promotion on the internet, I finally agreed - when the phone came it was a piece-of-crap Samsung that refused to work. (I had a Nokia) I called Verizon and was told it was the insurance company's problem, and I was screaming by then, you SOLD THE INSURANCE PLAN TO ME - and its not even YOUR plan? It went on and on - and the piece-of-crap Samsung that I could have bought with new service for $19.99 is somewhere in a box in my packed stuff - I found the old phone, nicks, faulty keys and all and will not touch that Samsung again. What on earth EVER happened to good cusomter service AND honesty? Most of the time it has just gone out the window - period. And the outsourcing to Pakistan - ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what can I say? Does that make any sense if you want good customer service ratings to oursource your call centers/help lines, etc to a country that does not speak English? eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

12:04 AM  
Blogger keNYC said...

Dude, they totally got me early in the game on one of these scams. I got through all of the recordings. I got to a human and was feeling really good about it. Then, she asked me what was the address of the account holder. That being my mom, and me only having lived in the house for the previous 6 months, I totally said "439 Walnut Lane...." The correct answer was "139 Walnut Lane" and you could actually hear this girl grinning ear to ear as she said, "No, sorry that's not it."

Also, kudos for even noticing someone used your card number in Cali. I would never in a million years know if someone was stealing money from me, because I never, ever check my bank account....

1:33 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

"Crafty" is the nicest thing I have ever heard anyone call them. I'm sure even they would be surprised!!

10:08 PM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

I had a similar conversation with my credit card comapny recently. I went over my limit by $5...and they charged me a $29 "service fee" for allowing me to go over my limit...I'd rather be declined than get charged an additional $29...it was a long talk and I got no where. I'm having my wife call today to straighten them out. SHe has a "way" with customer service people... LOL!

9:30 AM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

I think the phone people work closely with the credit people, because I swear I've had similiar conversations with both sets of people. They keep wanting to add on instead of take off, to the point where I fake tears and end up getting a couple free months of whatever. Try it someday...

11:47 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

steve - I don't know how those people live with themselves...then again we all have to pay rent

jing - ahhh so that's who's hiring!

gardenia - so sorry to bring up such painful memories!!

kenyc - they didn't give you a second chance?

jay - nice, sarcastic, it's all the same;-)

rock - good luck to your wife!!

dt - tears you say? I will have to try that!

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home