Friday, October 20, 2006

New York Women are Fabulous

I simply can't compete in this city. Sex-in-the-City women really exist, and they scorn my type. You'd think that in a city of something like 5 or 8 million or lots and lots and lots of people, I'd find a niche.

Nope.

I have plenty of cool friends, most not originally from here. I've been asked out a couple times, fine. But I can't compete with these women. And I certainally don't look/act like one of them.

I do not smoke. I like beer. I buy rounds of drinks when I go out with others. I don't expect the guy to do all the buying.

I do not have a fabulous wardrobe and fabulous shoes.

I can't find a pair of jeans to save my life that are 'cool' enough.

I'm currently running 16-20 miles a week, and that number is going to go up as I train, so I'm fairly healthy, but I feel fat. I'm not fat! I'm swimming in my pair 6 pants today which I hike up oh-so-lady-like every few steps. I don't know where to buy a belt under $50.

I don't eat out every evening.

I ride the train.

I'm going to an art exhibition tonight embracing my over-sized green cargo pants, camouflage Keds, brown longsleve under dark blue short, topped off with a cargo jacket. I'm not fabulous. But there is an open bar...and that is my kind of fabulous;-)

11 Comments:

Blogger Michael Colvin said...

Well you just scorn those vacuous sex and the city wannabes right back. At least you can say you are being yourself!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh man, you mean there's a place out there that would despise me even more than I experience here? Look sista, I'm no size six and haven't been for about fifteen years, I spend money on rounds like I won the lottery, drink pale ale, and shop at Old Navy and still have the nerve to bitch about prices. You come on over here to Ohio, I'll do an art show with ya.
btw- I just realized I haven't had you linked! I fixed that my friend.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Biddie said...

Oh, ldbug, don't dispare! I am a lot like you, except NOT size 6 and I haven't worked out in...well. a long time. I found myself a guy that loves me the way I am.
My OTHER sister (we call her Posh) is plastic. She travels, drinks fine wine, has VERY expensive shoes, designer jeans, and a house to match all of it.
She has a super hot hubby, (ha!! that's funny , cause he's a firefighter!!!!).
I think that he cheats on her and she seems miserable.
Plastic ain't it, baby. Be your self. Oh, and by the way, open bar??!!! Have a great time!!!!!

11:25 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Tod- I will scorn away and outrun their asses too!

Kim- Ooo, art show in Ohio!! And thanks for the link:-)

Life- You're lucky to have a guy! Hopefully I can find one...eventually, and most likely not here. Sorry about your sister, that sucks. (side note, firemen, yum...yum...)

Yeah, drank the hell out that bar!

7:19 PM  
Blogger .:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

It is much better to be single. I'm not plastic but I am nowhere near original.
I don't drink beer or fine wine. I'm a Rum/Vodka girl and I say drink til...just drink.

11:03 PM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

Well remember this rule of thumb, the next time you're at the mall trying to score those hot jeans: fashion is fleeting, style is forever. Yeah. So find stuff that will last, like pencil skirts, and pair it with a retro t-shirt and chunky beads when going out to a club or a dress jacket when going to a business meeting. The point is, find classic clothing items and make it your own, by releasing your inner style. It's in there, trust me, and with the right accessories it can and will come out!

1:14 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

You just have to redefine the word, and learn to apply that one to yourself. I mean really, what use have you got for those other women anyway?

7:19 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

The Adult- Well, single can be lonely here...rum? Voldka? good choices!

David- I think I'm going to try and hunt through some second-hand stores with a friend from work who always looks fabulous. She tells me that shopping at those thrift places in Manhatten is like sifting through the left-overs of the rich and famous!

Jay- Yeah, you're right, don't need 'em, so I should just stop comparing myself to them!!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

A fellow size sixer who is jealous of your hair....
call me if you want to go to an amazing halloween party next Saturday 10/28
---M

9:49 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

you belong in Seattle!!!!

2:36 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Meg- will do!!! I have a costume too...well, if it arrives in time and if it fits!!

Dilling- yeah, have lots of family there, but never lived there...I'm moving to London, though in January, sooooo, sure I'll get my fill of rain!

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home