Tuesday, October 17, 2006

It's Raining

Typical Montana summer day................

Today..................

I love the rain. I’m sure many of you would prefer sunny days all around, but while I enjoy a sunny day from time to time, it’s the rainy ones I remember most vividly. Rain visits my former part of the world rarely. Helena, Montana sees more blue sky days than Pheonix, AZ! Beautiful blue skies over green valleys, golden mountains, snow caked ridges. But the rain, the rain.

I remember rain on almost every fourth of July of my childhood. Running through the meadows full of water, while the parents stayed dry. As night fell, collected into the house, soaking and cold to watch the fathers try and light fire-crackers on the soaked deck.

I remember rain on those long summer days that my mom threw us out of the house to play. Rain or no, we were sent to the outdoors to discover the world. We found waterfalls at flat-rock, muddy ponds at our hide-out on the mountain, secret hiding places as Nia-Nuki, wrapped in ‘buffalo’ hides escaping the Blackfoot and calvary.

I remember running. Races in the rain seem somehow more appropriate. The passion of chasing heated and cooled by the clouds above.

I remember running. Hurt from failure, from spurned love, from lost love. The passion of the sky crying for and with me.

I sit and watch the rain from my perch inside the café. Done with work. Sitting and writing, and smiling. I love the rain.

10 Comments:

Blogger dilling said...

I was just today remembering today one particularly heavy downpour(and it HAD to remarkable considering I grew up on the rainy side of Washington State)when I was 16 or 17 and my bestest was living with us, instead of with her folks...it was torrential downpour and we ran out the door, walking the streets for hours... we were so wet, we couldn't bend our knees in our jeans...we were high and hysterical on water and weather...just today I was thinking of that...
some of my very favourite walks have been in rain, but also, here in the rainy part of the world, days after day of it, the grey and the gloom, can become heavy...we long for some blue sky along about January...

8:58 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

oh, and I meant to say that was a gorgeous photo!!!

8:59 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Oh, thank-you, dilling! I love to hear other stories. I know that a lot of people live in very humid places, but aren't the memories cool? and somehow, more poinent? Anyway, yea, like the pic too:)

10:26 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

I still love splashing in the puddles, and what could be better than squishing mud between your toes?
Beautiful post...

11:32 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Thanks:-)

At the moment, sitting at a desk in a too-hot sweater, waiting for a presentation; I can think of nothing better than squishing mud b/t my toes...I'm keeping that happy thought in mind for the afternoon:-)

1:02 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

Sorry, I'm just not getting the rain vibe. I think about it but I just keep getting thoughts of cold wet soggy clothing against my neck. Ugh! ;)

3:38 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Ah, that's OK, I know a lot of people don't like rain. I think it's just 'cos I grew up in such an arid place that I think of rain as this unique, cool thing...

10:22 AM  
Blogger C said...

Wow - a beautiful picture and a beautiful post. Thank you.

10:47 PM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

Rain? What's that? Living in Arizona we only get one type of weather, and that's sun. I do wish I knew about this rain thing you speak of...

11:36 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Thanks Candace, although, I don't think my photography skills come close to yours. I mean, you caught your kid flying;-) Really, you do take a lot of really cool pics.

Yeah, DT, I know how that feels. When I first moved away, I was astounded by the amount of rain Memphis got!

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home