Saturday, October 07, 2006

What Laundry Means To Me




Laundry is not bad, in theory. I mean, what can truly be wrong about clean clothes?

Wrong? What’s wrong is the reality.

In reality there is a mile hike, fifteen pounds of laundry that has been avoided by the purchase of new underwear and bed sheets.

Reality is living on the third floor of a building.

Reality is lugging 15 pounds of laundry up and down three long staircases. Stumbling half the way, slipping on the steps, teetering down with laundry bags perched on my shoulders, the rest stuffed into an overstuffed suitcase.

Reality is that I will forget the soap, and have to buy more.

Reality is that I will run out of quarters and loose money in the change machine.

Reality is that I will stand in front of the full and running washing machine with a shirt and a bra that I found in the bottom of the bag, that I somehow missed. And I will contemplate how much I hate machines that load from the side. And I will briefly entertain the idea of opening the door and throwing in the overlooked items before too much soapy water spits over me and the floor.

Reality is that half of the dryers won’t work, and the other half will light your clothes on fire.

Reality is exhausing, frustrating, expensive, and can be a fire hazard.

Reality is that it’s been two weeks, and I’m running low on clean underwear…
Picture courtesy of : www.soyouwanna.com

9 Comments:

Blogger Biddie said...

That sounds like a suckfest for sure. I love clean laundry, but I used to loathe going to laundromat. Big time.
Take a book, and try to enjoy the time that you have to spend there. Think of curling up on your fresh bedsheets, and the wonderful fluffy-ness of a soft towel.
If that does work, check out the hot single guys that are there, too. You never know.

10:44 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Good advice! will do:-)

11:33 PM  
Blogger katy said...

you could always go comando! or hire a laundry maid, happy washing day

3:09 AM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

That sucks bad. Life's too short for all that nonsense. I suggest you take a stance and become a naturist.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

oh, I feel ya. I have my own machines, but my hateful kids put clean stuff in the hamper, still folded! "It isn't mine" or "Oh, did I miss that?" makes me want to kill them. I can only hope I get a female judge, my entire defense would be "clean clothes in the laundry your honor".

10:16 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Indoors, I could just drop my stuff off there and pick it up the next day...but it's more expensive, I still have to walk, and that fire thing really did happen..I'd rather be there instead of hiring them cos they don't care if my stuff gets ruined!

Both Tod and Indoors, if it were warmer.....as it is no commando or natural for me!!

Kim, you know I started doing my own laundry when I was maybe 13. Mostly because my mom would shrink my stuff or accidentally put a white shirt in with the colors...I wonder if she was doing that on purpose to get me do take over that task?

2:35 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

Laundromats suck. yea the worst part is the third floor thing. I have a suggestion, maybe you should only do it one load at a time. a couple nights a week. or start carrying a little down everyday, and keeping it in your trunk till its time to do it all.

get yourself some decent bags to carry it in. or drop it from the third level to the parking lot? or maybe a pully system... or... get a big strong man to help you! :wink:

thanks for visiting my blog! and good luck. i hate doing laundry, but i LOVE clean clothes, sheets and towels.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I remember when I lived in my first apartment building, we had laundry in the basement. I went down one day only to have the fright of my life: a rodent! Only it was a pet rodent...a ferret, apparently, who loved doing laundry with its owner. Now we have our own machines and stuff, but I still haven't done laundry since.

11:44 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

*giggle* I think that would put me off of laundry too!

You know, I think I've finally found out the best reason for getting a guy back in my life...to carry heavy things. like laundry bags!!!!!

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home