Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A Scientist Becomes a Runner...Again

In 1822, the world was lucky enough to receive into its clutches two future greats, Johan Mendel (later became Brother, then Father Gregor) in July, and Louis Pasteur in December.

Mendel spent plenty of time in his garden, 'toying' with pea plants. From his green thumb, and astute observation, Mendel theorized the basis of genetic inheritance and published his findings, "Experiments on Plant Hybridization" in 1866. His paper was sited merely three times in the next 35 years.

"My scientific studies have afforded me great gratification; and I am convinced that it will not be long before the whole world acknowledges the results of my work." -Mendel

Unfortunately, Gregor Mendel passed away in 1884, two decades before anyone recognized his contribution. Now known as the 'father of genetics' he is the reason I went into science upon discovering the punent square (a method of determining genetic inheritance) in the seventh grade.


On December 27th, 1822, Louis Pasteur was born. Pasteur was responsible for founding microbiology through his 'germ theory.' He founded his theory at the age of 26, dismissing the 20 year old belief of 'spontaneous growth.' At the time, scientists believed that anything exposed to oxygen would result in a growth of sorts. Basically, they had no better explaination for why mold grew, why milk spoilt.

It wasn't until 1864 that Pasteur's theories began to recieve credit. Napoleon asked him, that year, to look into a 'wine disease' which was destroying the industry in France. Pasteur researched into the matter and discovered that at 55C microbes could be rendered harmless, thus the invention of 'Pasteurization.'

In 1885, Pasteur discovered the existence of viruses when he developed the rabies vaccine. His first human patient, a young boy bitten by a rabid dog, was cured after an injection of the vaccine.

Most throughout his life, first as a foolish young man, later as a senile old man, believed Pasteur to be more than a little crazy. They refused to believe in the existance of 'germs.' Again, and again he proved his theories correct. He fought against popular belief his entire life, and succeeded time and time again.

My parents bought a children's book entitled 'Believing in Yourself' on Louis Pasteur, when I was very young. I remember them reading it to me before I learned to read.

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity." -Pasteur

I had my last conversation with the appeals committee yesterday. I will find out soon whether or not I will be awarded the Ph.D. I worked so hard for. If I recieve only the masters, then I will go on next fall or winter to continue my studies. If I recieve the Ph.D., I'll continue my carreer.

In the meantime, I believe I will run a marathon.

"Set the goal high enough, and even if you lose, you have achieved much. Still, it's better to win."- Me

16 Comments:

Blogger David Tellez said...

OMG! I had that same book! He had a small little friend, like a catapillar or worm or something and wore giant shoes, huh? Yeah...I had that book and Hans Christian Anderson and Abraham Lincoln. But I lost them, cuz I cant find them anywhere, and I have no idea how to buy a whole set of those awesome books...

Anyways, yeah, good luck dude with that whole Ph.D you worked so hard for. I really hope you get it, and that you dont live to regret it. But like you said, even if you dont get, just remember that you have already achieved so much (like that hundred page paper you had to write...that right there is an accomplishment in itself and totally deserves an award!). Still, how cool would it be to sign your comments, IDBUG, Ph.D.?!

11:29 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

You know, my parents have the whole series of those books...I could ask them who the publisher is if you're interested?

I'd love to get the degree, I just don't think the commitee is going to side with me..even though my first mentor was FIRED, and the second project I was given was CRAP, and, AND the guy in my lab is getting his Ph.D., but the girl? Oh, no, don't give it to the girl:-( I mean five years, two publications, a 3.3 GPA, countless presentations, writen documents, experiments, and a 150 page thesis...no, no, not good enough for a GIRL. Ugh, those people make me mad!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

You have so much to be proud of already. Your hard work and determination are really amazing. I love the name Ladybug, Ph.D!!!!! keep your eye on the prize.

2:25 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Will do, even if I don't get it from this institution, I've already got a position lined up to get it somewhere else....

7:37 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Keep goin babe. Don't ever let the bastards get yer down. Just sing Chumbawumba's "Tubthumping" n you'll get there...

after 3

1,2,3 "I get knocked down but I get up again, they're never goin to keep me down" etc etc

Tell yer what. Next Drunk Punk'll be dedicated to you with "Tubthunping" on it. ok?

9:36 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Cool!!!

12:45 PM  
Blogger katy said...

ladies and gentlemen we give you Ladybug Ph.D go girl go

1:16 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

That's the way to do it!!

4:22 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

ok. Sing along now. yer on Drunk Punk. Actually yer on DILLIGAF 'cause I broke the rule just for you. x

(Caz, bein' a microbiologist, knows what yer goin' through. She went through it years back. Hang in there babe)

5:57 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

I hope that you're feeling a little better....4D's video made me smile..and sing!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

I am rooting for you Dr. Ldbug!
xo

8:34 PM  
Blogger Heidi Grether said...

I like that. . .Dr. Ldbug!!

Has a great ring.

Very interesting post. I have never read any of that. Makes me want to.

Hate you have to fight so hard for what you already earned. And in 2006, in the western culture, there is still all that machoism in professional arena? Oi. How disheartening.

My best to you, Dr. Ldbug.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

I hope your results when they come through are what you had hoped for. Good luck!

5:04 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Best wishes for success - here via 4d. I remember Margot Fonteyn speaking most movingly at my son's degree ceremony. Her theme was tenacity.

6:50 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Thank-you guys all so much! I'm going to try and slip in an acknowlegement to you guys in my thesis.

Thanks again, really, really, really!

I'm off to bed (race in the morning) but I'll be posting later....

11:40 PM  
Blogger Tom Chivers said...

Which raises the question, on her retirement will Paula Radcliffe train as a quantum physicist?

(Good luck with qualification/career incidentally.)

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home