Saturday, September 16, 2006

Y

I joined the YMCA today. I’m not one for joining gyms, mostly because I’ll pay money and not go, but I’m turning over a new leaf…well, let’s hope.

I guess I don’t have much to post today, except that I remember swimming at the Y twice a week, all throughout my childhood. We’d play, and race, and then struggle into warm, PJ’s, you know, the kind with the feet. My Dad would give my brother and I a dime each to get a small handful of those tart candies in the machine by the desk as he and my Mom chatted with the desk guy, a friend who apparently still works there, nearly 30 years later.

Then we’d bundle into coats and be carried to the little yellow Volvo in the parking lot, our hair freezing, the sky full of cold and stars. I don’t know why I only remember the winter at the Y, but I do, probably because it’s longer in Montana.

Later, I became a lifeguard, then a swim instructor. Even later I moved away to go to college, found new pools, hotsprings, cities without city pools and without the Y.

Interesting that I remember all this now, all because I live in a little Brooklyn neighborhood with a YMCA.

5 Comments:

Blogger katy said...

happy memories, i remember going swimming in the winter months, rushing home and drinking hot chocolate and eating wagon wheels mmmmmm

5:20 PM  
Blogger C said...

I bet you remember winter because BBRRRRRR - that's more memorable than a comfy stroll to the car, LOL!

Still, neat memories. :)

I hope you enjoy your new membership! :)

12:04 AM  
Blogger dilling said...

I remember swimmming lessons at the Y with one Gramma. She lived on the water and was a smart lady to insist that I could swim to stay with her...and I remember being AMAZED at a the idea of a city pool, teaming with EVERYONE while visiting my other Gramma in Ottumwa Iowa...but being too terrified to get in with EVERYONE in it...

1:23 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

Sweet memories. My Dad never took me swimming at the Y. I do have memories of swimming at the pool in the building where my Mum lived, though. Those are the best memeories that I have of her.
Have fun at The Y. I can't even count how many times I've joined a gym...and then NOT gone.

5:53 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

I'm going to the gym!!! Ok, not today, neeeeeeeeeed to do looootttttsss of laundry..but I'll be going for sure, meaning you guys are going to have to suffer through a lot of posts on, groan, working out:-)

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home