Monday, September 11, 2006

One winter’s morning



To keep in tune with the past couple of posts, I thought I’d relate a story from some years ago.

My Mother’s youngest sister married at the end of November some 10 years ago, and we decided to join in the party leaving my brother and my Dad to their own for a few days.

The wedding took place in northern California, two plane rides to Oakland, and one train up to Sacramento. We left Montana early in the morning, huffing through the cold and snow up the ladder and into the plane. Winter had arrived early, and left a bleak, white trail through the valley.

We settled into our small seats, feet freezing, and nervously chatted about the upcoming event. After awhile, we began to realize a lot of time had passed without so much as a proposal for lift off. It was about then that the intercom sputtered to life:

“Well, umm, this is the pilot folks, looks like we’re going to be taking off a bit late today.” Clearing of the throat. “Seems like the compass is frozen, but” A brief pause through which I imagine he tapped on the contraption verifying his diagnosis. Then much more cheerfully, “we’ve got a hair dryer up here now, so I’m sure it’ll all be thawed out in a few minutes.”

Wait just one damn minute, did he actually say hairdryer? They’re thawing out instruments used to fly a metal, frozen contraption into the air using a device meant to tease high school girls’ hair into oblivion? Nonononono…

“Yeah, OK, that looks good” humming very much like a hairdryer in the background. “looks like this is working, so we’ll be in the air soon.”

Great.

13 Comments:

Blogger dilling said...

But you made it...whew. Is that what they used to de-ice the wings, too?!?

7:34 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Gead, I hope not;-)

11:30 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

I love travelling, but flying still kinda scares me. The last time that I was on a plane 2 of the engines stopped. I know that a plane doesn't need all of the engines to fly, but it sure makes me feel better when they ALL work.

2:18 PM  
Blogger katy said...

just what did they plug the hair dryer into! think i might have got off the plane myself!

2:23 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Life, that is scary, I prefer the use of all engines, wings, etc.. to be in prime condition when I fly...not that I can control that!

You know, indoors, I hadn't thought of that! I bet they had a battery powered one. Now that I think about it, it's a wonder no one got up and out of the plane!

5:21 PM  
Blogger tideliar said...

Oh babe! LMFAO!! :D

6:58 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Oh, I wasn't laughing then, oh no, oh no..;-)

12:03 PM  
Blogger C said...

ROFL!!!

"Excuse me, folks, but it seems we've lost an engine. No need to panic, though, as one of us has a personal fan onboard. Expect a little turbulence, and maybe a sharp starboard tilt for the rest of the flight."

12:44 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

You could always have stood outside and flapped?...maybe not

3:02 PM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

Yeah, I would have taken that as a major sign that flying in the cool weather just wasnt in the cards. I mean, I know it's always cool to read about homemade rememdies, but when hundreds of people's lives are stake, do you really wanna chance it? Yeah. Still, glad to know you're still alive and well...or are you a ghost communicating to us from regions far beyond?

7:29 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Ahhh, no ghost here!! That's just Montana flying for you, courtious, but a bit out of the ordinary!!

1:59 AM  
Blogger Heidi Grether said...

So, you taxied down the runway and lifted up into the air just BRIMMING with confidence, huh?!!!

4:58 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Oh, yeah, seriously thought we wouldn't make it. I mean, I'm already a nervous flyer! I just don't understand how the pilot couldn't have been a bit more professional..like "sorry for the delay we had some technical difficulties that were resolved by the most experienced people in a most experienced and safe way using the absolute best in technology to date!!"

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home