Monday, August 28, 2006

Coney Island

A peninsula really, Coney Island is reminiscent of the traditional boardwalk, warmed by long, sunny days, saturated with salt and sand, air thick with cotton candy and greasy hotdogs. Although I visited on an overcast day, I could almost hear the generations of vacationing families, children squealing with the waves, parents chasing the errant child past cawing vendors and rumbling roller coasters, young people basking on the beach, sweat and sun and bored lifeguards. I passed the day on the windswept beach, book in hand, then, full of sand and eyes watering, I toured the grounds taking a ride on the Ferris Wheel and two, yes two rides on the Cyclone roller coaster. One of the oldest roller coasters in the states, rickety, and wooden, I loved every gut wrenching moment as the cars sped round corners and leapt down the tracks, a tenuous grip on the old rails.

I ended the afternoon with a draft on the boardwalk, chatting to the bartender about the older days. He pointed out the many pictures on the wall some dating back into the 1920’s, wistful in his reminiscing.

“They’re going to tear it down.” He told me, sadly shaking his head. “In two years none of this,” a weathered hand gestured at the bar and surrounding shops, “will be here. All of it will be beachside condos and resorts.”

Alarmed I asked if the whole of the boardwalk and carnival would be removed as well. The bartender pursed his lips in thought, “No, I think they’ll keep the rides, and the boardwalk…well, I hope so.” A sigh, “Would you sign our petition to keep the bar and shops?” Eagerly I agreed.
As the train pulled out taking me back to Brooklyn, I wondered if I would ever see Coney Island in all its glory again, or if I ever really had. Perhaps the glory days were long past, and now was a time for resorts and wealthy condos. No more vacationing families and carnies, no more rickety rides, and greasy hotdogs and sagging swimsuits and sunburned teenagers. All replaced by bronzed bodies, manicured nails, pool-side pina-coladas, honeymooners and yachts. Sadly, I glanced down at the postcards I’d collected, hoping there would be a place for cotton candy and sandcastles in the new Coney Island.

16 Comments:

Blogger Michael Colvin said...

I really enjoyed reading that. Perhaps you could post some of those old postcards. I would like to see them. I too have a fascination with old fairgrounds. we had a similar one built at the same time as coney island. I remember visiting as a kid in the 70's. Sadly it is long gone.

4:58 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

I'll try and post a pic or two that I took while I was there. I don't have a scanner, though, so I can't show the postcards.

Back in Montana, there is the ugliest city, Butte, which used to be a gem. It had the most beautiful fairgrounds, with all the rides and glory of the early 1900's. It was torn down for strip mining. Fortunately they've gone back to mining underground..I should post about that...anyhoo, glad you enjoyed the post:-)

5:28 PM  
Blogger tideliar said...

Beautiful post babe. How do you do it with out fucking swearing?

5:47 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Thanks, coming from you that means a lot:-)

Silly, I'm trying not to swear 'cos my parents read my site from time to time now..eek!

6:07 PM  
Blogger ergo said...

*sniff* nice post, yo.

11:46 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Ohh, that is sad:-( poor kids.

Back home we have a parade, the Vigilante Day parade, it's the only parade in the States that is not funded by anyone. Instead it's put on by the two highschools. All the kids get an extra day off school to make their floats, and the whole town turns out for Vigilante day.

I remember when I got to have a float with my friends my senior year, it was something I'd looked forward to all my childhood. I can't imagine how horrid I would've felt, we all would've felt, if we hadn't had the day.

They still have the parade, going strong..

10:05 AM  
Blogger dilling said...

That was beautiful...and sad. Sadly, many of the beach fronts, water fronts, etc. are all becoming condos for the wealthy. The water and the sand, that magic and that mystery should be a part of the glory days that EVERYONE gets to remember.

12:52 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Thanks, dil, I agree! Hopefully the petition will get some attention?

1:31 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

How sad. I hope the petition gets alot of attention....

1:42 PM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

So they're not tearing down the whole park? Or...? What are they tearing down if they're gonna keep the rides and all? I hope they dont tear down to much of Coney Island though, because when I go to New York, it's one of the places I want to visit.

2:33 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Well, from what I gather, they'll be tearing 'out' all the boardwalk shops, restaurants stands and bars. They'll probably leave the actual 'walk' and maybe the older rides on the very far side?

No-one is quite sure how much will go, but to put in a resort, it's going to take a lot of space! Alarming, really, because once they start, who knows where the developers will stop? And who's to stop them? And what happens to all the little business owners who have been in the family business forever?

2:52 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Is it me??? Can't read Mr Angry or Tidy 'cause they've suddenly gone miniscule and now I can't read you 'cause the letters have faded into the background. I'm technologically in me cave. Gettin' lonely in here....

10:25 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Oh, no!!! Is it the sites or the comments? I'll repeat this on your site....

I think my site is clean, (as I type this stuff at work and there is a firewall in place) so maybe your computer is dying???? Ack!!

If anyone else is having troubles please let me know if it's my site!!

11:39 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

S'ok it's my pc I think. Tidy's just told me how to fix it...(hand waves over head)...I'll get jax on the case tonight.

11:57 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Good:-)

12:57 PM  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

Your site seems fine. I have a hard time reading the text because of the colors, but I think I might need my eyes checked again.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home