Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Slurpie

Rhode Island, one more state to tick off my list. Of the fifty states, I’ve missed only Hawaii, Alaska, Texas, Oklahoma, North Dakota (surprising as it’s a neighbor to my home state), Wisconsin, Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and New Jersey. Not toooooo bad…

So after work I hoofed it to the #4 to take to Grand Central, then hopped the train to New Haven, Conn. H & J picked me up at the station and we headed to their place in cheery ‘ol Rhode Island. They have a great house in a lakeside community. Some of the houses barely classify as a cabin by the lake, other, newly built homes stand out in stark contrast. We chatted into the night until J began to doze off, then, oh, then I got to slip between the sheets of a real, live bed in the lovely large guest room. Ahhhh, I’ve been sleeping on a small mat on the floor in barely a closet for almost two months now, and I hadn’t realized how much I missed a bed!!

We drove to the beach the next day, wow, what a day! Strolling along the cliff walk, stumbling down to investigate small tide pools and poke at snails, dangling feet in cool, salty waves, peeking through bushes and giant gates at the great homes…perfect. We finished off our little hike with a blue slushy from a 7eleven, and sat on a bench content to slurp and admire the cars we could never afford.

Along the wharf we pointed out sailboats and compared one yacht to another, discussing which was better, and where we would go if we owned such a boat.

Which got me to thinking, when you take money for granted do you lose that utter excitement at a rumpled dollar bill in a pocket of washed jeans, or a coat you haven’t worn since last winter. Maybe not.

When you take anything for granted, the novelty can rub off, I suppose. I try not to let that happen. I still cry when I hug my parents after a trip. I still take my shoes and socks off to stick my feet in the water. I still catch snowflakes on my tongue. I still do certain things that I shouldn’t because by 27, I should know better, such as jump into achingly cold lake-water at the beginning of summer. Such as bite into hot pizza even though I know the scalding lava, otherwise known as sauce, will sear off my taste buds. Such as sleep ten minutes late tasting the last bit of dreamtime, just to rush through a shower, and run to catch the train. Such as eating ice cream, even though I know I’ll have to fight off the excess chubbiness. Such as drink that extra cup of strong coffee in the morning, even though I know I’ll throw up if I do.

Then there are the things I do to remind myself not to take them for granted. Looking up at the night sky, smell the rain, fold up in a clean towel, eat taffy, sunbathe, buy a new shirt, hug my cat, run, wish on a star.
Think about it, when did you last wish on a star? Sometimes we forget.

10 Comments:

Blogger Biddie said...

I only just started reading your blog, so i don't know why you don't have a bed...I went without a bed for over a year. For various reasons, Hubby and I slept on several different air mattresses over the course of the year. We actually had a large, inflatable air bed for a time..Until Hubby and the girls spent a rousing afternoon playing 'serious damage' which basically entailed jumping from the couch,or a chair, or hubby's arms into our bed. It exploded, but the good news is, we got it on tape!! The youngest was catapulted into the ceiling and nearly broke her face....Great fun..Anyway, I know what you mean. Now that we have a king size mattress, I am ever so grateful. I haven't forgotten all of those nights when the damn thing bottomed out and we nearly froze...I haven't forgotten the fact that we had to boil water for atime,either. Every bath is that much more appriciated now that I'm doing it in 3 inches of pre-boiled water..That's what life is all about, the little things. I'm with you. A great day for me is finding an extra $10.00 in my coat pocket. My puppy waking me up with a slobbery kiss, my kids and I laughing at a funny movie......

5:15 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

Now that I'm NOT bathing in 3 inches of water...NOT

5:17 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

:-) lucky! King size, sounds nice!

I'm doing an internship in New York city, and moved from Montana. Since I'm only here for 6mo, I just brought the nessecities of life (and my cat)

Well, I'm glad you've got more hot water for the tub! Bubbles too?

5:52 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

Bubbles,as deep as the tub will allow...it's heaven.
I went to New York once (with my x). I loved it! We stayed at a hotel just down the street from Carnigie hall, toured Central Park,hung out in Times Square..I wish that I could go back.
I've never been to Montana. My next trip south will be to Colorado, to see my sister.

7:41 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Naw, hangthedj, just homesick. Going from Montana (and taking it for granted) to Memphis (and hating it severely) to Montana (reapreciating) to New York (too many people, but interesting)- has kind-of made me look for the things I miss and appreciate (such as the stars!!!).

Where in Colorado, life?

9:50 AM  
Blogger Biddie said...

My sister lives in Littleton,but they call it Centenial now. I've never been there,but it looks so beautiful.I no plans to go anytime soon..but I am definetely going to get there eventually.

12:43 PM  
Blogger C said...

Aw, Blogger ate my comment.

I don't think you do ever get over the excitement of finding a buck in your pocket. I didn't - even when we lived in CA for a couple of years and really didn't have to worry about $. Maybe if it had lasted longer. . .


I love little things like a good stretch when I wake up, and then lounging decadently with a book instead of getting up to shower, or eating chocolate truffles, or putting on a song I just love and playing it over and over again.

2:33 AM  
Blogger C said...

LOL! Poor puctuation up there. ^ :-P

2:40 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Good ones, Candace!! Yeah, lounging with a book, truffles, perfect way to spend a rainy afternoon:-)

10:23 AM  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

If you ever desire to visit Michigan, you are more than welcome to stay with me. That is, if you don't mind having a 4 year old hold you captive as he talks to you non-stop. We live in the best city in this state, though, I can take you to the crappier cities if you want (Flint, Detroit, Saginaw).

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home