Thursday, August 24, 2006

Subways and Rainbows



Today I have decided to begin this tale with a story of a people who have started to really, really irritate me...I call them 'door standers.' These are people who must, at all times, stand right in front of the subway doors. Oh, please, don't mind those trying to get on the train, no, no claim your piece of territory, on this otherwise empty train, right smack dab in front of the door. I mean, really, please, put your fat ass in my way, disregard the little old ladies, the mothers with small children, in fact, disregard anyone who may actually want to enter the train before the doors close in their face.

Can you tell I'm not fond of these people? They never move! They hover at the doors, lean against them (although there are clear signs and reasons not to do this), and block them to any other potential commuters.

"Forget getting off at this stop, buddy, two 'door standers' have made their presence known. Didn't you see them take out that old man with their giant bags when he tried to enter? You'll just have to wait until one of them gets off, so relax, really, it could be awhile. They're quite territorial, been known to take off an arm or leg. No really, I saw one chomp on a small child's hand when she wandered too close. Good thing the mother was near-by, the kid only lost two fingers (shake of the head) could've been a lot worse!"

So, if you are one of these people, watch out, I'm going 'a huntin' for some mean 'door standers.' I shall mount their heads above my non-existant fireplace to be admired by all those who have fought, and survived, an encounter.

On another note completely, a friend of mine has just suffered a break up. I feel like the most worthless friend, simply because I don't know what to do. It's not like I haven't been there, and recently. The last two years for me have been the hardest yet. Broken hearts and lonely thoughts, crying so hard I thought I might throw up.

This summer has been a wonderful insight into the person I used to be, and know I still am. I can smile easily, get lost in a book, enough to cry with the charactors, laugh with them, follow their adventures in my mind when I'm out running. I can get out of bed in the morning and look forward to the day. I can curl up on the couch at night and not even consider needing the ragged distraction of smokey voices, beer soaked floorboards, sticky countertops, and a haze of just one more drink. I'm happy with my thoughts now, I can breathe. I even have potential with a truely great man who has the ability to make me smile just with a thought.

I don't know where I'll go from here or where I'll end up, but I've a few wonderful ideas.

I just want that for my friend. I want to tell her everything will be OK, that tomorrow will be better, and the next, and the next, and for it to be the truth. I want to give her a hug, and take away that hurt I see in her eyes. I just don't think a hug is enough, but I know I can't promise tomorrow will be better, and I know I can't take away the hurt.

And it scares me a little.

It reminds me of how I felt for a time. It reminds me how not all the hugs in the world chased away that gloom. I had to chase it away myself, I had to find that small shaft of sunlight and run it down, and you know what? I found a rainbow at the end of that race. Really, I did. I actually ran as far up a mountain as I could and when I looked back, I saw a rainbow out there. Now I'm following the metaphor of that real life rainbow, just to see where it leads.

12 Comments:

Blogger Biddie said...

Wow. I'm writing about ghosts today, and you're writing about some thing so deep.
I have felt hopeless, and just plain lost. It is usually my kids or my Hubby that pulls me out of it.
I wish that I could hug your friend,too. Break ups are so mind numbing-ly awful. You begin to wonder about YOU, and start second guessing your every thought, action, and then there's the "what's wrong with me?" phase. Wow. I hope that your friend knows that we're thinking of her. wishing her the best. Break ups.....

1:34 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

1) Push 'em under the train
2) Give yer friend a hug and just be there n she'll be fine.

3:11 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Thanks guys!! I'll let her know the blogshpere is 'huging' her:-)

Push them under the train? Yeah, could do...IF I COULD GET TO THE DOOR!!! eek, is there such a thing as train-rage? or should I term it commuter-rage (you know, as in road-rage when you're pissed off at other drivers?)

4:34 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Check out the link on my site to 'roommate ergodica' she has a good point up on her site for today...bastards, bastards

5:03 PM  
Blogger C said...

I *think* if you can just get about 3 paces running start, lower your head, and throw your shoulder into it, you can blast them right out the damned door. :-)

2:49 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

As long as you're chasing it...just don't take public transportation.

3:49 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

I'll give that a try, Candace;-) But those bastards are pretty tough!! Actually ran through a pair of them today trying to get off the train and here to work on time...my roommate even commented on them being in the way!

Oh, Jay, how I wish I could avoid it, but my dear little ghetto cruiser of a car is stuck back in Montana:-( I'm only here for another 4mo, though....

10:21 AM  
Blogger Barryhn said...

Been there and done it (the break up thing, there's no subway trains where i live, so the door people are strange to me, though frustration at inconsiderate ****wits is not, i love a good rant, and dickheads like that are just fuel for the fire)

couple of years ago my friend was dumped by his girlfriend of 4 years, she was the absolute love of his life. and for 4 weeks or so, between me and another friend he was never alone, that's all you can do really, be there offer support where needed, and distraction too if needed. it took a while for him to get over it, (took me longer to forgive her for the manner in which she split with him but that's a story i'll not go into) but he did, and is now happier than i have ever seen him, he met someone else, and moved to russia (where she lives) to teach english and be with her. There's always a silver lining, always, you just have to look for it :) *rambling happy hippy bullshit ends*

6:49 PM  
Blogger tideliar said...

The top half of your tale sounds like DC too, or London :) Fond memories...some old boy accused me of being a door hugger once! Me!! I called him a C**T at the top of my voice :) All good fun.

And for your friend; just what everyone else said. Just be there for her. All things heal with time :(

7:19 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Thanks barefoot, I hope she can find that silver lining too :-)

Yeah,Tidy, I need to stop writing about the stupid train!!! Better stories to come...and she will be OK, got me as a rommate - life doesn't get better;-P

3:22 AM  
Blogger katy said...

i know how you feel about your friend my best friend's relationship has just ended but like everyone says we just let them know that we are there for them! yeah go on get that train rage, but be careful out there!

9:17 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

hehe, train rage, I think we've come up with a new term:-)

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home