Friday, August 04, 2006

Publishing Mirrors

Slowly, but surely, I'm integrating myself into the culture of New York and my work-place. This could be due to my willingness to consume large degrees of alcohol in public, that or I'm just that damn cute;-) Everyone loves a ladybug! Summer outing on Wednesday for work included a pool, some food, a keg, and did I mention the pool? Ah, it's hot here, very hot, and I haven't seen a pool in awhile, but here I find myself sunning by the pool, sucking down Amstel light and chatting with new work/drinking buddies. Now, after a lovely, buzzed, afternoon, Roommate and I could've gone home, but did we? Oh, of course not, we opted to see off a friend of roommate who is soon to be moving to England to be with her sweetie. Friend brought us a couple things to put in our apartment, a full length mirror, and a potted plant.

Grand Central, the hub of travelers, both local and non, and the meeting place of friends, roommates, mirrors and potted plants. Thus equipped, we started out on the town in search of food and, of course, more drink. Not one to be shy, I settled on the mirror as a traveling partner, which is quite an interesting experience. Now Roommate got her fair share of stares over the potted plant, Friend her due to the fact she was surrounded by a slightly drunk, furnished apartment, and me, well, I believe I received the most interesting of the stares. Not that people were necessarily staring at me, rather they were staring at themselves, in my mirror. It's really interesting to realize how fond people are of themselves. By casually placing the mirror in alternate positions on the train, I observed how many people would move, adjust, and preen without really noticing there was a ladybug holding the mirror. Ah, the fun.

We landed in a small French deli, shuffled through grease and a bottle of wine, and trudged to a bar who chose to advertise via chalk on sidewalk. Being the champs we are, we indulged in shots of the day, more beer, and proceeded to make random friends as one will do with a full-length mirror in hand. That and we were not entirely quiet. In fact our loud conversation was peppered with blogger comments, publishing notes, and science jargon. We drew attention.

Finally, the night had to end, work the next day demanded we go home at some point. More fun on the train, a couple slices of pizza, and home at last. No more drinking on weekdays! However, as it is now Friday, and I received some drinkable news, tonight proves to be yet another New York night, albeit without a mirror.

10 Comments:

Blogger ergo said...

We did go home but Dude, more and more I am convinced that you are the energizer bunny of the party animal kingdom. No doubt that you could have partied us into the ground.

*wink*

9:07 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Yeah, pup, bad news, school decided to give me a ms instead of phd. I can appeal to the dean, but man, I'm so sick of those people, just plain tired, ick, ick!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Whoa, I haven't been around much lately and I'm very sorry I haven't been. me too also on the move and here i am now catching up with you and your new adventures. Loved this post and look forward to reading more stuff and recent archives.

I'll be here more ina week or two hope you are well!
Candy

3:15 PM  
Blogger Heidi Grether said...

Mirrors. . . I work in front of one. I embarrass myself while my daughter is manicuring me, I find myself preening in the mirror behind her! Like if I look at myself again, someone different will look back at me?!!!!

Fun post to read. So sorry about the ms instead of phd. Oi, you have had too much trouble from them.

7:37 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Moving to another city, Minx? Hope all is well, good to hear from you:-)

7:38 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Ahhh! sorry Hatti! posted at the same time as you, eerie;-p

Ah, I'll get the degree one way or the other, got another apeal to go through, then I'm just going to be done with them!!!

How are you doing?

7:40 PM  
Blogger Dagny said...

That sucks about the school thing. Hope you had lots of fun drinking over the weekend.

6:35 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Thanks Pup!!! the degree would mean more coming from you anyway!!

Yup, was fun, Dagny:-) Actually just went out Friday, but stayed in Sat night. I watched a movie on my computer (oh I love my computer) and got some laundry done, and got in a good run!! Hope you had a good weekend!

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you should definitely drink more...eejit.
I deleted your txt with the picture, can you re-send it ?

2:01 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Which picture? the one of times square?

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home