Tuesday, April 10, 2007

How I spent my Easter

When I was about nine, my parents took my brother and I on a trip "back east." We hit New York city, Williamsburg, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., and Boston. While it was some time ago that I had last seen Boston, I was eager to explore the city nearly twenty years after that first trip.

The RM and I took the Chinatown bus up on Friday evening and we hit the town hard that night. All I can say is I don't remember much of a night life when I was nine, but at twenty-eight, the boys in Boston are cute and the beer is cheap!

On Saturday, we rose fairly early (as in before noon) to hit the Freedom trail. Boston is full of trails that are mapped out to hit historic places. We were determined to do all (or nearly all) of the Freedom trail.

It began at the Boston commons with a loop around a park. Since we could see the loop from where we were standing, we chose not to peruse the pigeons and started on our journey, which would end at Bunker hill.



The first major find, along the way, was an old graveyard boasting the final resting places of Samuel Adams, Benjamen Franklin's parents, and (our favorite) Paul Revere.

We continued on past the first meeting house that started out as a British political building where motions that led up to the Revolution, such as the Stamp act, were discussed and enacted.

On past the oldest restaurant in the United States, an open market and we were off to The Constitution also known as "Old Ironsides."


We stopped off for some clam chowder on the wharf, lost the trail for a bit as there was a lot of brick and our little freedom trail is also brick, relocated the trail and headed up to Bunker hill.


We arrived at Bunker hill foot sore, cold, but happy. If you don't know, Bunker hill is (close to) where the first major battle of the Revolutionary war took place (actually Breeds hill, but Bunker is where the monument is). The order was to not fire "...until you see the whites of their eyes." While we lost the battle, the British took a severe beating taking the hill. They ended the battle with more than 1000 casualties out of around 2,500 fighting a force half their size. It was the first battle in which the newly established United States realized they could actually win and the first battle that the British realized the US meant business.


We finally reached the end of the trail and commemorated the moment with a stand on the final seal of the Freedom trail.


After five hours of walking we retreated to the hotel for a short rest, then headed out on the town again to verify that, yes, Boston boys are cute.

And that's how I spent my Easter.

14 Comments:

Blogger MrRyanO said...

That looks like a really fun time! Too bad it's in Boston...

Go Yankees! LOL!

Seriously though, it does look like fun and I spent a weekend working near Boston. We got to the city for a while and it was really nice.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been to Boston many times and think it's cool. Never been in the Cheers bar though. Cae Cod is da BOMB!

12:10 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Yeah, Boston has changed, it's really all new buildings and wide streets...I really liked it!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

now that looks like fun! i love the last picture...

*plans her next trip to boston to see cute boys*

12:27 PM  
Blogger katy said...

sounds like a great weekend had by all!

1:57 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

mrs - it is a cool place to visit, did't know the Cheers bar was up there...then again never watched the show..

mel - isn't that cool? All our feet, I thought it was cute:-)

indoors - it really was!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

I enjoyed my trip to Boston too. I remember the freedom trail and bravo for sticking it out for five hours! Now that's commitment...no wonder we lost. :)

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i no 2 really cute guys that live in boston, but there gay ;o)

11:09 PM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

I've never been to Boston, though my missus has (before I knew her); she sez it's nice. I'll go someday maybe.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

This tour was incredibly fun. I hadn't thought about all those landmarks for some years!

And cute photos!

3:13 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I can't believe you were only an hour away from me and didn't call! :( That's ok...we'll get together in your city soon. If the weather ever decides to warm up for good, that is!

3:24 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

tod - we were determined to reach the end!

pup - I found some who liked girls, very cute:-)

* - you should!!

joce - thanks:-)

heather - is RD really that close? I thought it was longer? Probably b/c the bus ride was long...Yes, you have to come to NYC! I'm leaving at the end of May!!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

Oh, what fun. Wish, wish, wish I could go.........in lieu of that, thanks for the wonderful pictures. Glad you enjoyed yourselves -

8:51 PM  
Blogger Pallav said...

interesting pics...i like the red brick road...tombstones are indeed fun...did you find any with cool sayings on them?

N

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home