Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Vending Lunch Part I

Oooooo, Ahhhhhhh, hmmmmmmmm...the choices leave me baffled as I gaze in a mixture of wonderment, indecision, and slight revulsion. The vending glass mocks me with a distorted reflection of my pensive and frightened face.

My eyes cast downward toward the selection of M&M’s, candy bars, and Twizlers. My mind shouts no, and reluctantly I pass over those choices pausing only slightly on the glittering wrapper of Grandma’s Oatmeal Raisin cookies.

The Fritos chortle in my direction knowing I don’t dare select their greasy salt slathered, synthetic ribbons. The Doritos ignore me choosing instead to carry on a conversation with the Cheetos to their left. I ignore them as well and mock the Cheetos manufacturers and their lack of calculating abilities.

The dried fruit blinks imploringly at me and I stare back feeling sympathy for the package, which clearly belongs in a home for aged individuals. For a brief moment I fantasize setting free the fruit, but I’ve been there before and gagged on the first, dusty piece.

So again I count the coins in my palm, when suddenly a voice, taunting, alluring, causes me to look up in alarm. And there, perched at the top of the case, leaning toward me in glorious shiny black is one last bag of Smart Food Popcorn. Years of a love/hate relationship has taught me that only the small bag is allowed in my presence. I know only 100 calories rest in that bag along with a taste sensation to carry me through the long afternoon.

I lick my lips and the Smart Food knows it has me. Only 55c and a thin glass shield separate us. Slowly my hand lifts to the coin slot and the quarters followed by an unruly nickel pass from my world into the vending one. I hesitate briefly considering the pretzels one last time, but I know that consideration is only a show – and the Smart Food knows it too. I punch the letter-number combination A6 and hold my breath as the bag is slowly released from it’s wire prison. One tenuous moment when the bag might snag and the Smart Food is free! Lunch is served.

11 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

WOW! My lunch has NEVER been that dramatic!!! ;)

Steve~

11:31 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Just trying to keep it interesting;-)

4:08 PM  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

Phew, I have found you...

7:35 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

Thank goodness it's not a granola bar that tastes like cardboard!

8:38 PM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

That poor dried fruit...no one digs those guys... :(

Me, I'm an M&M kind of guy!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Yay! I found you! :)

10:41 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Cami - yeah, still here hanging on by a thread!!

Life - granola keeps the world regular;-)

Rock - I know, I felt sorry for them too! Aw, I love the M&Ms but really got to watch the belt line!!

Heather - yay from here too:-)

10:48 PM  
Blogger CindyDianne said...

Ohhh - M&M's are the food of happiness!

8:33 AM  
Blogger katy said...

if its got chocolate on it i love it!

10:13 AM  
Blogger dilling said...

I don't trust vending machines... i have no reasoning for it... it's irrational, no?

12:14 PM  
Blogger .:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I don't trust vending machines either.
I don't think my lunch has ever been that dramatic.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home