Tuesday, November 28, 2006

London at a glance, Day I

(Pictures to come later..)

The roommate and I landed at about 7:30am on Thanksgiving Day at Heathrow airport. Not an enthusiastic flyer, I didn’t nod off until 20 minutes before touchdown. Needless to say, this was going to be a long day.

We waited in line for almost an hour to get through customs at which point I was chastised for having lost my printed trip itinerary. Apparently I looked like just the sort of person who would sneak into the UK and take up illegal residency. Finally, they passed me through after a good talking to and I entered the country.

Sooz and I grabbed our bags and headed for the train. It took awhile to figure out we were looking for the “underground” during which time Sooz took many pictures of the bathroom (please, don’t ask) and I grabbed some funny money from the ATM.

We really wandered around for 30 to 40 minutes looking for the entrance to the “underground.” A few hesitant moments on buying tickets and checking to see we were on the right train, and we were off! The ride itself took about an hour – an hour of squinting at the sun and checking out the locals on their commute into the city. Of note, the ladies in New York have better shoes, but as Sooz pointed out, the shoes were more practical in London.

We hit our hotel to drop off our bags and wandered up the street in search of an English breakfast. I ordered eggs on toast with bacon, forgetting the bacon is different, and Sooz ordered something that came with brown sauce. We were both intrigued by the eating experience, particularly because people could smoke in the little cafe, which added an entirely different element to half cooked pork and brown sauce.

Slightly energized with multiple cups of coffee, we ventured out into the sun and found our way to the British Museum. What can I say here? We saw half the world. The Rosetta stone was a lot smaller than I thought it would be, but still fascinating. We stumbled through display upon display and found ourselves in the Parthenon. Amazing sculptures, some half disintegrated others almost whole, peered at us from the walls gesturing wildly with broken limbs. Throughout the museum little Harry Potter-like kids ran around in cute little uniforms attracting almost as much attention as the artifacts. We knew it was time to leave when things began to fuzz together as happens after around 36 hours without sleep.

Walking back I swear the pavement slipped back and forth trying to trick my feet. Add to that the cars and busses whooshing by in the wrong direction, and it’s really a miracle we survived the walk back to the hotel. We checked in, and struggled to our little, very ghetto room and passed out for a couple of hours.

Insistent that we hit the town for the only night we’d both be in London, I encouraged us to get out of bed and we wandered out around 7pm after an interesting experience with the lukewarm showers. We found an internet cafe and got in touch with family and found our friends in the UK. A nice little pub in Coventry Gardens entertained us until closing time. Sooz then headed to bed, and I checked out the hotel bar, again, and interesting experience of chatting with cute little British boys. Around 1am, I called it a night. Next chapter? Liverpool.....

13 Comments:

Blogger Biddie said...

It sounds like a wonderful expirience. I would love to go to England, it has always been on my wish list of places to visit. I'm looking forward to the photos.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

Excellent lunchtime reading for me. I'm glad you were able to gain your second wind in time for some pub action. Can't wait for the pictures.

12:30 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Life- It gets better..

cami- me miss a pub oportunity? never;-)

Pics when I get time to load on the computer at home...

1:10 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Undercooked pork? Sniff, philistine...

No two pubs are alike, and the beer is always warm and welcoming. Do you remember the name?

1:28 PM  
Blogger katy said...

glad your home safe and sound, cant wait to see the photos, of a bathroom!! yeah i got to ask about that one!
glad you made it to the pub, we are looking forward to more

2:22 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Boy - sorry, but in traditional American style, I like my bacon fried to a crisp. It should stand on it's own;-)

I can't remember the name of the pub off hand, but I'll ask my roommate if she remembers...

indoors - Well, roommate thought the sign was cool. She liked the bell-shaped lady...she spent a lot of time marveling over that one!!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Sounds like fun!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

I LOVE the British Museum, though not been for ages. It's a shame you only got to do one day.

5:53 PM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

OMG dude...FUN! I once read about London in this book about a girl who lived there and had trouble with her finances, and after describing all the cool places in London (like Harrods...at least that's what I think it was called) I so wanna vacation there and use an accent and try to finally understand British humor (cuz seriously...I dont get it!). Have fun and dont forget to post the rest of your adventures!

8:13 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Sports - it was fun and exausting, and I'm definitely going to have to go back!!

Tod - You know, I don't think we missed much! We really went all out to see as much as possible...course it would be nice to not be on sleep deprovation mode...

DT - Oh, you'd do great there! You'll get over there and have many adventures!

9:32 PM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Far be it from me to ask, but don't you mean Covent Garden? Maybe there is a Coventry Gardens, but I'm just checking.

Don't you just love that we Brits allow smoking it small eateries. Ridiculous, that's what it is!

6:14 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Oh, oops! Yeah, Covent Gardens, sorry!!

10:36 AM  
Blogger tideliar said...

Bless...a day late and a dollar short again. Yeah...COVENT GARDEN

:P

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home