Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Happy Birthday!

Well, my blog is one year old today! Yay to Ldbug! Yup, that's all I've got on the subject. I was thinking of doing something cool, maybe a year in review, but I took a glance at the past year and decided I'd rather leave it there - in the past. I'm happy to be where I am now. I've got new stories to write, and a new life to follow. It's taken awhile to get here, so why bother and dwell on last year? Anyway, Happy Birthday Ldbug and thanks for giving me the medium to get out there and shout a little.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note...London trip day II, Liverpool

I arrived at the train station only 15min before the train left for Liverpool. The next didn't leave for an hour and I'd promised B I'd meet her at noon. So I ran around a little looking for the ticket kiosk. In the process I was scolded for not "queueing" properly. Actually, I was just trying to get a better look at the information desk to see if they sold tickets, I wasn't cutting in line! Still the guy went off on me about if I wanted to start my own queue blah blah blah. So I apologized, moved away and, in true lady-like fashion flipped him off and stuck my tongue out at him behind his back. That done, I found the ticket kiosk.

The trip to Liverpool was fine, except I was scolded again, this time by an old lady when I asked very politely how we were supposed to know where to sit since some people had reserved seats and some didn't. I shrugged that one off and chose a seat at random. Lucky me, I sat behind a Michigan father-son duo. It took a lot of will power not to kill them. They were sitting across from two Liverpool ladies and proceeded to explain that Thanksgiving celebrates the native American 'rain god' (no it doesn't), that "there's really nothing to see in America," (yes there is - think pueblo ruins, Old Faithful, grizzly bears, moose, the statue of liberty, New Orleans, the largest bodies of fresh water in the world...I could go on), and proceeded to ask if they used 'sponges' in England and if they knew how many states we had or who our president was. I'm really proud of myself for not killing them. They also massacred American history - and yes, they were serious the whole time. To be fair the ladies were pretty dense too. They asked if we had baked beans in America.

So I made it without bloodshed and only got yelled at twice. My friend and I met at the station after a little confusion as to where to meet and, well it's been 10 years. She was worried I might be the scary punk girl wandering the place.

We checked out downtown and I got my picture by a Beatles statue (very embarrassing, but had to be done). Then we rushed off to begin Thanksgiving dinner. B violated a turkey, I peeled sweet potatoes and made those hand turkeys we used to make as kids for arts & crafts. Guests showed up, we drank, we ate, we retired to the front room to sit in front of the fire and drink coffee and brandy, we ate more pie. It was a good night. Thoroughly traditional, we even had the cranberries in a can to decorate the table. No one eats those of course, we just admire the thick jelly paste that maintains the same shape as the can. We managed to get to bed by 4am that night...

13 Comments:

Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Happy blogiversary, LD.

Those Michigan folk sound funny. i can't believe the nonsense they came out with. Maybe they were just trying to downplay what so many Brits see as American arrogance. Or maybe they were just dicks.

And of course you have baked beans in the States. What else did cowboys eat. Sheesh!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Blog Birthday!

They really should get more creative with the Cranberry sauce and come up with better shapes than "can" shape why not Pilgrim or Native American shaped cans? That would look impressive amongst the spread!

11:24 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

* - Oh, I came sooooo close to butting in and telling those stupid men a thing or two, well, not so close as I was pretty hung over from the night before! Yeah, cowboys...actually you're right, it was one of the first canned foods and easy to transport out "on the range" :-)

Molly - That's a great idea! You should market it! I'd totally buy pilgrim shaped cranberries!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Your blog is 1 now...which is impressive...but it still can't fomulate words, isn't really walking as much as falling, and oftentimes shits it pants. ;)

Steve~

11:47 AM  
Blogger Clarissa said...

A birthday is a birthday and worthy of a Happy Birthday. I'm jealous b/c I had to start afresh (shut down a blog that started in Feb 06) and now I have to wait another year before I get a year under my belt.

1:26 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Steve - ? can't formulate words:-(

Clarissa - Oh no! Did you get discovered by the 'wrong' people?

1:32 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

Happy Bloggy Birthday to ya!

Your train ride from hell made me laugh...sorry bout that. Why is it that there is always a scary punk girl lurking late at night in train stations?

And you do realise you were tagged by me yesterday? There's no escape!

5:37 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Tod - tagged? What? No I didn't uhhhhh can it wait till I've published all the trip posts? By this weekend, I promise!!

5:44 PM  
Blogger .:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Happy Blog Birthday!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

In the 80's, I might have been the punk girl wandering the train station.....
Happy blogbirthday! One year is amazing!

11:34 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Adult - Thanks:-)

Life - Well, I won't hold it against you;-) Actually, B said the girl had white makeup and black lipstick? Kinda weird for noon on a Friday...

11:36 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Hippo birdy to you...

You found cranberries in a can? Hurrah! Where? I need to innoculate my children with at least some thing more north american so they don't grow up complete brits!

8:38 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Boy - sadly, we got them from B's mom, she shipped canned cranberries and pumpkin from Montana:-( Do you have any relatives left in Canada or the States? I'd be more than happy to ship stuff to you, but I know most people are not cool with the giving out of the addresses. If you have an address that you are willing to share you could e-mail me (crush720@gmail.com) and I'd definitely send out a box full of the canned goodness just in time for Christmas;-)

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home