Thursday, November 30, 2006

Liverpool London and Home

I was thrilled to be introduced to crumpets and tea the morning after – oh, who are we fooling? The afternoon after I arrived in Liverpool, I was introduced to crumpets and tea. While I’m not a huge fan of tea, it was fine for a hung-over and extremely tired me. The crumpets were fantastic in all their gooey honeyness. B & D and I finally left the house around four in the afternoon to wander around downtown and check out the wharf. Standing against the freezing wind overlooking the little bay, I couldn’t help but imagine what my ancestors felt, over two and a half centuries ago, when they first climbed aboard that rickety ship leaving their home, their way of life, everything - for a chance at something better an ocean away. And here I stood. I flew in relative comfort supported by entertaining films and red wine. I dozed along a rail mentally decapitating other passengers. I walked the last bit against a stiff wind. In only two days travel, I’d accomplished what must have taken them months of hardship. And I did it with only the fear of plummeting out of the sky and the terror of airline food.

We watched the lights flicker off the old buildings, musing at each architectural dream and finally hopped a cab back downtown to catch a play, “The taming of the shrew.” An all male cast portrayed Shakespeare in ‘70’s style costume, but with all the passion and words of the original performance.

Some tasty curry later, we headed home to bed. The only difficulties from there lay in my learning to open the door early in the morning – hey, the locks are weird – and catching a view of Big Ben before heading to Heathrow. I barely made my flight, and only received one more scolding for being late. I got lost! Honestly, the British are really into scolding people.

I’ll upload the pictures tonight or tomorrow, but just to be clear, there are no pictures of scolding. Be aware, however if you are unfortunate enough to scold me when I move there you will end up on this site with an accusatory statement and some unsavory comments beneath your picture followed by your home address and phone number in order that the American embassy may hunt you down and shake their fist menacingly in your direction.

6 Comments:

Blogger katy said...

i promise not to scold you! glad you like crumpets, you can have lots of different toppings on them, cheese, honey, syrup mmm.
oh happy belated first birthday Ldbug!
it is amazing that we can now travel world wide in hours and not weeks, but its still as stressful!!

6:12 PM  
Blogger tideliar said...

oohh...crumpets! Fuck me sideways I miss 'em...

6:49 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Indoors - Oh, thank-you!! No scolding is a good thing;-) Yum, maple syrup sounds so good!!

Tideliar - Yeah, I was impressed with them!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Simon said...

I like hot, melted butter with my crumpet. Not so hot that it's scolding, though.

(see what I did there?)

3:44 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Simon - Oh you are so clever;-)

10:45 AM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Yes, we like telling people off for not being as perfect as we are!

Crumpets are lovely, though.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home