Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A very long time ago.....

I was a kid. I think five was my best year yet. I remember that entire year as if it were yesterday. Truly, not many people remember their fifth year of life, but for some odd reason, I do. It was the year I wore the 'prettiest dress in the world' for Christmas and my fifth birthday. A white frilly number with little red roses and a lovely red satin sash. I remember being complemented at the mall on our way to have a picture taken with Santa. I remember Santa having a real beard that year. I think that was the only time I'd ever seen Santa for real.

My birthday party four days after Christmas swirled with candy, presents, a lit Christmas tree, and sparkly stickers pasted onto masks.

Later that year, during those long, Indian summer days that belong only to Montana, I remember running inside the cool house thrilled with play, fun, friends, and sun. I ran in just to tell my mom that this was "the best year yet."

I didn't understand the look she gave me. Sort of a cross between sad and happy. Happy for her little daughter to be so full of life, sad because the world was still a sad place. Maybe sad because she knew one day that happiness would have to collide with the outside sadness.

But I still remember what it feels like to be happy.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

that is a wonderful memory! the kind you can pull out when you think the whole world is shit, just remind yourself of that wonderful year!

i have no idea what was going on when i was five, i have limited memories of childhood. I have limited memories period!

verification word: iycxmas...

that is spooky!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

What a beautiful slice of life! Hang on to that memory for dear life.

Is your birthday on Christmas? Mine is.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

I have many happy memories of my chidhood, but none that seem as vivid as yours. You are so lucky to still have these memories to cherish.

7:53 PM  
Blogger David Tellez said...

Our lives can change with every breath we take. Sometimes the change is for the better. Sometimes it's not. That's why you've got to hold on like hell to what you've got: a past. It's what defines us as who we are and helps us shape our future. My guess is, with a cherished past like yours, you'll have a real good future!

10:44 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Just make sure that happy isn't just a memory.

10:02 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Mel - Yeah, it is kinda nice to have that year...I'm hoping someday to have another one just as good! That is weird, I need to do a post on the word verification thing....

Heidi - Your birthday is on Christmas? Cool! I'm actually the 29th, so just after, but we always had the tree! Plus I got to tease my little brother that I was going to get more presents after Christmas:-)

DT - Aw you say it well! I'm hoping for a better future here soon..

Boy - I know, I had a rough past, uh, five years, so I'm just getting back to the happy!!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

It's amazing to me that you can remember back when you were so young. My memories of that time are really scrappy.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happiness smells like a melon.

At least thats what I think.

12:08 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Tod - it's really only that year that is vivid, not sure why except I just remember it being so great!

Dullard - Watermellon?

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home