Thursday, February 02, 2006

Moms are great. Mine just got into town last evening because I was feeling particularly down. It's been a really tough year and a half, from the ex-husband leaving to me becoming my own lawyer to deal with the divorce, to leaving one lab due to a horrible mentor only to find myself in another lab with 10x the pressure, to..well, life!

So she flew from Montana just to take care of her baby for a week. She's offered before, but I've always been stubborn and said 'no', and I've made it through quite a lot on my own, which probably started with the microbiology degree in undergrad when I held down 3 jobs while going full time to school, (summer's too), then of course the three years o' hell with the ex. I really never thought much about that before, that I've always put so much on myself.

My mom told me and a friend last night how exhausted my life made her and that, were it not for my absolute, stubborn, and determined attitude to never quit, I probably would have fallen down a long time ago. Well, what she actually said was more like,
"I don't know how you do it, I would be too exhausted right now! You always were so stubborn and never quit when any sport got hard in high school, or when any professor told you to quit in college, or when that horrible woman did all that to you in lab. (sigh) I always thought you would be a teacher like me, maybe a high school teacher, I don't know where you get all this ambition. (another sigh)"

[at that point I interject just to tell her how much I love what I do, and that it will get better, just now it's really tough to which she responds ]

"I know, your dad and I are so proud of you. I just hope you find somebody to share your life with, and that you live closer to home someday. (a really big hug) because you can't cuddle up with a Ph.D. at night."

Ahhh, mom. She worries too much I think. I'm not all that old, and besides, I'm tired of trying to "find" somebody, I think it's damn near time whoever he is out there gets off his ass to find me!

Anyway, I've gotten off the subject which is that I'm so lucky to have a family that loves me so much. Anyone of them would walk through fire to get to me if I needed them, well, my mom thinks my brother might just throw a life-line;) Naw, he'd come to my rescue too. Well, better get back to work, I need to get a few things done before lunch...with my mom!! :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three months into reading your archives and I can't believe you are still alive.

Do bitter, blame it on everyone else people really live to be 27?

You are simply amazing. Really.

No wonder your mother sighs so much.

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home