Friday, November 10, 2006

Scarves



I was educated on scarves the other day.

Her – they’re so fresh
Me – Uh huhh
Her – unlike jewlery which is sooo hard
Me – (eyebrows raise, I just bought a cool, understated necklace)
Her – you know? They’re so colorful and fresh!
Me – (you look like you’re choking)
Her –I really need to take you shopping
Me – yeah, I need some help I guess.
Her – (nodds emphatically) And we can get some fresh scarves!
Me – Well, I don’t really like things around my neck, I can’t wear turtle neck sweaters...
Her – (after a thoughtful pause) But they’re so fresh.
Me – Right.

I don’t think they’re “fresh”, they’re pretentious. The wearer constantly fidgets with it as if they’re trying to hang themselves in an elegant manner. I wear a long, warm blue scarf that my best friend knitted for me with my coat when it’s cold. That’s sensible. I don’t wear it inside, though, that’s stupid. Wearing a scarf around your neck tucked into your shirt looks, well, silly. I want to tell her she reminds me of a bird with a puffed out bright chest. I want to tell her it’s rude to knock my cheap clothes. I want to, but I don’t think I will. She seems the fragile type that may just tighten that scarf a bit too much one day....

21 Comments:

Blogger Biddie said...

I don't scarves, either. Ok, nice warm scarf to wear on a cold day, I get. Fancy, frilly, silky, iside-your-shirt, I don't get.
My Mum wears scarves. She has a big head. They make her look like a balloon.
'Nuf said.

11:30 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

LOL, your poor mom! I don't get it either, I refuse to go with that trend!!

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blasphemy !!!!!!!

I'll not abide any more of this scarfism !

12:32 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

I don't think the word Fresh means what she thinks it means.

In my vocabulary a fresh scarf is not doing what its supposed to be doing by keeping your neck warm. Stick with the long blue warm one...

1:23 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

I don't think the word Fresh means what she thinks it means.

In my vocabulary a fresh scarf is not doing what its supposed to be doing by keeping your neck warm. Stick with the long blue warm one...

1:27 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Lefty - ugh I know!!

Boy - I wonder if I should clue her into her bad use of the word "fresh" maybe she meant "young" I don't know....

2:15 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Scarves are meant to be paired with winter coats. Though I do admit to during the winter when the office is especially cold to keeping on my scarf for the entire day as it keeps me warmer!

3:46 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Molly - oh, I hate cold offices!!

4:34 PM  
Blogger dilling said...

Both Thurston and Lovey Howell from Gillligan's Island ALWAYS wore scarves...very fresh.

6:17 PM  
Blogger C said...

I love winter scarves, but the decorative non-warming scarves are definitely not me. Maybe I am stale.

3:09 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

dilling - a good trivia tip;-) See they are for old ladies!!!

Candace - I'm not for decorative either! just the nice fluffy ones to keep out the cold!

3:55 AM  
Blogger katy said...

i dont wear scarfs i feel restricted in them, dont do hats either!

3:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a big huge scarf, that dangles for miles, although I don't wear it often.

9:30 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

indoors - back home in very cold I'll subject myself to the hat torture;-)

jo - my cat would love that scarf!!!

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love scarves. Sooooooooooooooo fresh.

Steve~

10:51 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

old grannies wear scarves. You don't qualify. Some woman insulted me once at a New Year party 'cause I wouldn't dance with her. She was around 6feet. Caz, who's 5 feet 1, got hold of her scarf n throttled her. My bodyguard is Caz.

1:44 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Steve - It's almost obsene isn't it?

4D - She's a tough lady, your Caz!! :-)

7:35 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

fresh.. Ha! yea. its practicality all the way for me!

keep me warm when its cold.

1:44 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Fresh...it makes me think of feminine products; not something to wear around my neck!

4:41 PM  
Blogger .:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

My mom is right about my grandma and her scarves...they make her look like a balloon, but only if she'd float away.

10:04 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Yeah, only old ladies hiding their waddles should wear scarfs!

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home