Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The boss

So as I'm sure many of you have noticed, the Christmas season is upon us. With that comes gifts, cards, fudge making. Now I've got the cards covered, made some cookies and fudge

- We interrupt this post for some breaking, semi-interesting news: Someone in this office has a phone that sounds like a bird chirping when it rings. There it goes again. Last week we were all looking for a bird. This week we are looking for the owner of the phone. -

Sorry for that interruption folks, anyway as I was saying, I've done some baking and filled out most of my Christmas cards. I've purchased gifts for my close friends and family, but now, now is the dreaded moment of looking for a gift for the boss. I need suggestions! I was thinking a bottle of wine, but who* are we kidding? I don't make enough to buy a nice bottle. I mean, we're looking at a range of $15-25 - tops. So that's more like a cheap bottle. That's all I've got. That's the only thing I can think of. Worse? I'd like to get something for the human resources lady who hired me. Now, what to get her!?

So if any of you guys have some thoughts I would really, really appreciate it!

*Ok, is that 'who' or 'whom' I can't decide...

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I always just give my Boss a plate of baked goods. For a guy who loves sweets and eats out 3 meals a day 7 days a week it is a treat. He is impressed by home made goodies. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

My friend used to have a phone that sounded like a barnyard (cows mooing, pigs oinking, etc.)

12:00 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

I'm afraid she won't like my baked goods...kinda sugary, very American. She's English. But, I think it's the thought that counts, right?

A barnyard? omg, if there was one of those phones in this office - well, it might turn ugly! ;-)

12:10 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Well, if your boss is English, then why not go down to Myers of Keswick or Tea and Sympathy and put together a little basket of English goodies? Otherwise, there are plenty of wines that you can get for that price that are really good. Park Slope has two really good wine stores for that (Big Nose Full Body on 7th and 11th, and Slope Cellars on 7th & 14th). I told them I had that kind of limit for bringing wine to thanksgiving, and I received no sneering or snobbery.

1:02 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Great ideas! I'll check out those places, thanks:-)

1:12 PM  
Blogger Michael Colvin said...

If she's English then buy her some Cadbury's chocolate. The imported stuff not the sorry ass US version...oops! ;)

Here's a US link:

Yum!

1:34 PM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

I am one of the worlds worst gift givers...it always seems like a grat idea until I see their face when they open it. So, I will not waste your time with my crazy, "sure to get you fired" ideas.

Although, Mr George Castanza once suggested making a donation in their name...Hmmmmm...

1:36 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

tod - ha;-) Thanks!

Rock - well, not sure I'm ready to be fired!! :-)

3:35 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

I never actually bought anything for a boss...

Maybe this is one of the many reasons I work for myself these days. ;)

Steve~

4:07 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Steve - well, you should buy yourself a Christmas 'boss' gift then!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

You should be able to find a decent bottle of wine for that price. I like the suggestion about the english basket.

12:17 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

Melanie - you know I got the greatest idea on the way home last night. I passed a little pastry shop that just opened and thought maybe I'll just buy a little Christmas box of goodies for her?

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home