Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Home Again

Well I’ve been out of the loop for a bit, mostly because I’ve been driving, and driving, and driving! I just moved back to Montana from Memphis, and yup, that’s right, I drove. I drove a car packed to the hilt with a cat crammed into the passenger seat, almost 2000 miles to get here. That’s about four days of constant driving at 70-80 miles per hour, at least 8 hours a day. That’s a lot of driving and though I complain, I have to admit, flying doesn’t do justice to the vastness of this country. In one day the temperature dropped 20˚F from St. Louis, MO, to Sioux City, SD. I drove from deciduous, steaming forests, through wet flat lands, through dry, golden planes, into the black hills, skirting the Wind River mountain range, across the Crow reservation, into the bluffs and, finally, climbing into the Rocky Mountains. In four days everything changed. I moved from magnolia trees to pine, from crawfish and catfish, to buffalo burgers and rainbow trout. I left the stinking, muddy deltas for the artic blue clear mountain waters. These waters, by the way, are very, very cold. We went out on the boat today, and I decided to knee-board a little since I haven’t in awhile. Ok, water so freezing you can’t catch your breath, but once you’re numb, it’s not too bad. Oh, and I can still jump the wake and turn a 360, good times were had by all. I have pictures of the Gates to the Mountains, (where the boat is docked) but I can’t find the connector to the computer, so I’ll have to work on unpacking the car tomorrow since I know it’s in there…somewhere! Well, I’m going to join my dad on the deck and listen to the last innings of the A’s vs Marlins baseball game. Maybe I’ll have a homemade cookie (my mom’s recipe) and some milk too. Ah, yes, it’s good to be home.

7 Comments:

Blogger ldbug said...

Actually, I don't have any NYC pictures yet..I was there for not even 24hrs and it was pretty hectic with the interview. I'll post the Montana pictures soon, and when I move to New York I'll be sure to get some great pictures:)

2:13 PM  
Blogger tideliar said...

:) Good to be back eh babe? i can picture it in my head. Can't wait for the photos... I

3:52 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

That's not just home it's paradise. Room for a drunk punk n his brood? What I'd give for a drive like that!!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Gardenia said...

well, know how you feel - I moved to Wyo from FL in a PT Cruiser two years ago. I'm still in shock. Its an awesome country here in the Rockies - - but I long for the soft murky south, her rythms, her songs, her many trees that hold me close and not leave me feeling like I will fall off the horizon....hahahah - when I moved from here to FL and went swimming in the Gulf at Christmas people thought I was nuts - but actually winter Gulf was warmer than Rocky Mountain summer waters.

10:59 PM  
Blogger ldbug said...

It is paradise, 4D, free food!!!

Yeah, the waters are pretty chilly, Diana:)

11:18 PM  
Blogger Falloff Boy said...

That sounds incredible.
I'd love to do that, Scotland and the UK feel like such tiny, cramped and filthy places nowadays, that the thought of being able to drive for 2000 miles through ever changing landscapes is appealing.
And the mountains! I love mountains, me.

6:01 AM  
Blogger ldbug said...

It was an adventure for sure BB!

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home